Frame Similarities

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Michael_A_Price, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Michael_A_Price

Michael_A_Price Member

Are the body mounting points etc the same on a 2x as a 4x truck. I have a 85 2x that I am considering droping onto a 84 4x frame and dont know what to expect as far as the differences. I assume the frame is the same but with crossmembers relocated etc for the transfer case etc.

Does anyone know if there will need to be a change to the cab due to differences, or better yet can I just remove the front and rear end off the 4x and bolt them onto the 2x's frame. I am really hoping gm had the frame generically tailored for 2x's and 4x's both so all mounting holes will already be there treaded etc.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2. BIGBLOCKGMC555

BIGBLOCKGMC555 Member

The frames are the same in size, however the 2x does not have the holes drilled and tapped. You could put the 4x driveline under the 2x, but it's a LOT of work! In the front you will need to take out everything (coil springs, A-arms, crossmember holding the motor, and steering box). All these parts unbolt, but the 4x parts (crossmember for motor mounts, crossmember for sway bar, and leaf spring hangers)will need to be drilled and bolted. This is after you cut all the rivets holding them in place on the 4x. The steering box will bolt right up. In the rear you will need to cut all the rivets holding the leaf spring hangers on both frames and bolt the 4x ones to the 2x frame. The 4x hangers are longer to make the truck sit higher in the rear to match the front. There is more with the transfer case, but you get the idea. Your BEST bet is to put the 2x body on the 4x frame. You will have to install a 2" or 3" body lift, I have a 4", so the floor will clear the transfer case. The 2x does not have as big of a hump on the floor as the 4x. I have done both of these swaps,so if you have any more questions just e-mail me. Hope this helps and good luck!!!