Front disc brakes

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Elky67, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Thought, i´d open up a new thread on that issue...

Between all the grinding and welding, i took a short break last night and decided to discover something about the front brakes. I definitively want to upgrade to power disc brakes, as the missus is fussy, when it comes to lousy stopping power.

I´ve seen those disc brake conversion setup´s , but being very heavy over sized items, they´d charge me a mere of 400$ to ship to Germany.
    That´s nearly a third of what i paid for the whole truck:eek:

Going through ebay.de, i saw i could get the discs and the calipers for GM trucks quit cheap, but how do i find out, what could possibly fit?
    Has any of you guys an idea, from which truck(year etc.) they use those discs and calipers in their conversion package? All i can read in these descriptions is, 12" GM rotors?

Any help or measurements would be highly appreciated:)

P.S.: the caliper brackets wouldn´t be a problem to fabricate.

2. Volker

Volker Member

Disc brakes update

I thought the same but would try the effect with drum brakes AND power brake booster.
    And i must say it works great without disc brakes.

I think with the maximum speed of this truck and a correct adjustment of drum brakes that works fine and is enough for the old lady.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The kit I bought (made by Buffalo Enterprises, a one man shop http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/index.htm ) consists of brackets, spacers and grade 8 attaching hardware. Uses over the counter late 70's Chevy/GMC 4wd rotors, calipers and pads. I think I actually bought it from HeavyChevy in Arkansas, but they seem to not exist any more.

Came with a list of parts to buy including the 12" rotors. Been on my truck for 15+ years. Work great. I can give you part numbers for US-based FLAPS.

By the way, Buffalo doesn't do e-mail. Call him on the phone.

4. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Bill - Any photos of the conversion and a guestimate of the cost of all the parts? US dollars. I'm headed over to the 'we(s)t' side of the state this weekend to see the grandkids and may have to take a detour to see the buffalo...

5. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Hi Volker, as this truck might get my(wife´s) summer time sort of daily driver, i definitely want a maintenance "free" ride. There´s a few more vehicles, to be maintained, so during spring/summer, time´s an issue. A friend of mine has a few vintage cars, with drums on the front, and most time, one wheel pulls to either side, but he´s used to it and lets no one else drive his cars.

@Bill, thank you for this info, if you get around, i´ll be grateful, for those part numbers, there are a few good parts shops here in Germany and with numbers supplied, it should be a breeze, to find the right donor car:)

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I bought the parts new from my Friendly Local Auto Parts Dealer. Seems like the calipers and rotors were around $100 total (in 1995 prices), the kit was a little over $100 and I also had to buy 12 longer studs for the lug nuts.

7. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Thanks Bill. I called Buffalo and the kit is now $140 and if I understood correctly, only works on '51 and up wheels if you are keeping with original 6 lug. He knows his product and had another kit that was around $450 that would work on my '48...Thanks for the tip, I think I'll drop in and visit him sometime.

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I forgot, but the kit also came with two 6 lug spacers, about 3/16" thick to move the stock wheels out enough to keep them from touching the calipers. I use late 70's 6 lug stock 4x4 wheels that have plenty of clearance without the spacers.

9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Parts list used with the Buffalo Enterprises 6 lug front disk kit for 51-59 Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton trucks with Bendix brakes.

Right caliper Cardone 18-4045 for '71-'84 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive.
    Left caliper Cardone 18-4046 for '71-'84 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive.
    Brake Pads Wagner PD-52 for '71-'84 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive.
    Rotors (2 needed) SB-81-60413 for '71-'84 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive.
    Wheel studs (12 needed) Dorman 610-179 7/16"x20 thread, 1.75" length.
    Grease seal (2 needed) National (Federal-Mogul) 6064 (stock for the Chevy/GMC hub.
    Buffalo recommended Car Quest SP6210 hoses. I used something else and can't remember what or why.

10. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Great Service

@Bill, that´s perfect! Thank you very much for this quick replay. This way, i can look up the parts in no time and safe me a lot of that precious green;), which i surely will need for other stuff, to get this beauty on the road.

Thanks again, Elky

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Hey Elk

Give us guys living on this side of the pond a feedback if you have any succes buying the part somewhere in Germany or elsewhere in Europe!!

Regards Martinius/Norway.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  12. Zig

Zig Member

Don't forget, Larry~ You could always put a 51 and up I beam on there. You could probably find a front axle from someone cheap?

13. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Bill!

That's great info!
    What MC did you use? (I will skip the "power" part of it, however.)

14. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Hi Martinius, i´ve seen the rotors sold on ebay.de for 49€ a pair, which seems
    to be a fair deal, with calipers and the rest, i´m not sure, yet.
    There is a big parts shop in Germany, called KTS, but they are known for
    unbelievable prices, so i might as well give rockauto.com a chance.

Do you still have drums on the front and want to upgrade as well?

P.S:My parents have been to Norway a few years ago and they loved it up there

15. brit 50

brit 50 Member

England

There are a couple of vendors over here who could ship to you, not sure about the exchange rate though, if you are interested look online but there is one I would stay clear of, I won't say on here who that is but he's in the Essex area of England. I highly recommend one from northampton area, very reliable.

P.s watched the world cup bobsled and luge that was happening in your country this weekend on eurosport, awesome. Ifn I was younger I'd love a pop at the luge or skeleton:D

16. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The Master Cylinder was part of a kit (MC, mounting bracket and a heim joint with a shaft to actuate the MC). I'm pretty sure I also bought that from no longer in business Heavy Chevy. Had to replace the master cylinder last year and found through stampings on the old one that it was from a '71 Mustang.

As Zig implied, the is NOT a power brake set up. I can lock up all four wheels with the power assist, so why buy it? Plus it makes things on the driver's side of the transmission kind of tight.

17. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Oh England my Lionhart !

Hey Brit

Next door nabour is from the Brighton area , remember the old walking coast pear and the beautifull ladys overthere. Those where the days! A lots of old cars and motorcycle traditions over there. Love to go there once again with my friend Anthony Brett Caldecourt. Love the english humor. Faulty towers and Monty Pyton , Aloh aloh (french frogs humor). Following the 60 tees series from heartbeat (good music and old car/mc sceneries) and nowerdays Topgear to. Love these comments and competitions they have.

Nice talking to you.

You Brits have great traditions with aranging old car/motorcycle fairs and meatings .

18. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

I have seen complete kits sold for a 250 bucks!

I have seen complete 1/2 t. truck kits sold on EBAY for 250 bucks this weekend .They are new but i do not know there compatebillety neither there quality?

Nice to hear your parents liked it beeing here in Norway. Welcome back then!
    Whas observating an Elk yesterday walking through the field a 50 meters from the house , man this bull whas big ( 650 kg.) ?
    Raw power it is indeed !!

Nice talking to you Martinius.

19. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Yanks

You listening yanks :D

Everyone loves England:D

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Uh.........

I mean : RIGHTY - O ! :D .

Remember : I love and drive LBC's nearly daily so obviously I'm crazy..... :p .

I'd imagine the 1971 Mustang master cylinder is the same as 1971 Brand 'F' Falcon....

Someone once told me it's the manual brake model one to ask for when using in old GM trucks...