Front Grills on 1954s

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssexton1, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Why are some of the grills the Bull Nose design? Was there a reason for the change in design from the cross-bars?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Back in the 1953 the government started a program {MK-Ultra} that experimented with mind control using LSD to screw with peoples heads.

Apparently the engineers at GM that designed the 1954 truck body were involved with this government experiment.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Reason are diffferent

Intresting question ! How is your truck project going on Sandy, do you have some pictures to share maybe ?

As i have understood some of the main reasons where that a totally new
    design and tech. upgrades where done to meet a new area and potensial marked needs.

After my opinion it is very unlikely that Conspiracy Theories neither that the experimental use of LSD have anything to do with the change of the 1954 truck front design "The Bull nooze Design" , but it would be intresting to know moore about that issue and if there is any relationship to it ?

A relevant link ;

http://www.welovesilverados.com/history5.html

Martinius.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. Zig

Zig Member

And then there is that GMC grill... LSD for sure. The problem was, the drug wore off before they could finish the design so they just said screw it.

5. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Sandy, Car makers were in a 3 year cycle for designs in the 50s & 60s-- trucks were not changed as frequently--Chevy ADs looked the same from 47 to the first half of 55. Ford redesigned trucks radically in 53, Chevy needed to do something until the second series 55s were ready so they changed the grill, used a curved windshield and used flat bedside tops in 54 and first half 55 pickups. They also changed the 6 cyl. engines since they didn't have a V-8 to compete with Ford and wouldn't until the new design trucks were ready.
    You asked about tires-- the numbers will tell you -- 6.00 by 16 or similar indicate bias ply tires while 215--85-16 or similar indicate radials--any tire store will be happy to explain further. Radials will be safer, easier to steer, give better milage, stop better, etc.,etc.
    You asked about power steering-- I'm guessing that you are too young to have driven cars without it ( nothing wrong with that, I'm just jealous). You don't need power steering with these trucks IF YOU REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE THEM MOVING (even if only slightly) WHEN YOU TRY TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL. Effort is very low when moving, very high when sitting still.
    I hope you got some giggles from the responses above -- we like to kid around.
    Glenn

6. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Hey Grandpa Glenn

Grandpa Glenn

Thanks for the thouroughly information. They make the radials with the white walls to but they are much more expencive in Norway then the standard black rubber tires. What would 2 pair of new radial whitewall tires cost for standard chevy steel rims in the US :)

Martinius.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Various Reasons

I figured I'd wait to see the other answeres first... :rolleyes:

GM was , as usual WAYYYY ahead of the pack in trends , yes they made " Low Cost " (means cheap) cars & trucks but they also realized that folks were beginning to look at the styling of light duty trucks , not just how hard you can beat 'em before they expire .

Thus , the 1954 Advance Design GM trucks had a car like appearance both inside and out ~ and yes , the sold the heck out of them as a result . (Brand 'F' ~ Pffft) .

As far as Radial Wide White Wall tires , I had a set of 5 made , $250 EACH :eek:
    but , well worth every penny (Daytons) as they're years old and have been worked mercilessly and yet still have lots of tread left and look nice to boot .

BTW : no one EVER fools around on this forum ! we're all as serious as School Teachers, yes indeedy ! :p .

8. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Thanks Nate for the information.

Hey man

I read an advertisement yesterday from a Norwegian compagny spesialized in F.... (the bad word) truck parts.They want for one "16- "21 inches Excelsior radial tires nkr. 2000 a piece. In dollars this is 2000 : 6 = 333 US dollars each eeeeeeek:eek:.
    So my conclusion is that you got your self a good deal compaired to what we have to pay fore these here. 25 % taxes and around 2 % import tax. I know making these whitewall tires is quite a prosess and as i understand thats one of the reasons that makes it more expencive !

By the way , is the aut. Hydra- Matic tranny known as a solid tranny ? Is there any possibillety to install this tranny with the standard closed torque tube/235 cc engine ?

:)Martinius

9. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Bar grilles

Found out something with my old truck, when I bought her the guy threw in a grille as the original on the truck was a bit banged up, the one he threw in the bed had just surface rust and a couple if dings so when the time came I dismantled it, gave it a lick of paint then reassembled and tried to install it, didn't fit! So I loosened off the lower panel, front wings etc but still square peg round hole! I tried and tried all ways but there was no getting round it, the grille was approx 3/4 inch or so too tall.

When I dug out the original and had a good look with a tape measure the end brackets were slightly longer, the three middle support bars were longer and strangely the spacing of the bars was different. I was dumbfounded, such a small difference but visually the same so why do it and what was the spare grille off of? Cab over possibly?

In the end it took 2 days to fit the grille after all the messing and rebuilding with original brackets!

10. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The 1.5 & 2 ton {conventional cab} trucks use the larger grill.

In addition to the grill frame being taller.... all of the grill bars are 1/2" taller than the 1/2 to 1 ton bars.

11. MotherTrucker

MotherTrucker Member

54-55 first series trucks

From what i've been told, and my past esperience from parting out these trucks. that design was used for the 1954 and partially into the 1955 year. About 3 months. Hence the name (1955 first series) I think its a popular style. It holds the overall form of the strait bar grill style but also leans toward the true 1955 styling.
    All the parts ive had from these have sold like crazy,especially at the old :reno swap meet: now at the power balance pavilion in Sacramento.
    Thats a good 2 day swap meet, bring your walking shoes and beer cooler. We usually have a 3 space area their with mostly truck parts, and lots of re- done fenders from our body shop section. Just mention you belong to this site for a 15%discount. Were up for trades also.
    It ultimately makes all the 1954-55 parts worth alot more than the 1947-1953 piecces. Len