Gas Tank Relocation?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 64ChevyPickup, Apr 22, 2009.

1. 64c10

64c10 Member

6Kustom: with all the posts on here about the dangers of saddle tanks for side impacts, are you saying that "modern" day trucks like the Titan still comes with saddle tanks?

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Yes, he is. BUT, those newer tanks are inside the frame rails closer to the center of the vehicle where studies have show is the safest location for fuel tanks in a collision,,, from any direction.

dv

3. 64c10

64c10 Member

ahhhhh... thanks dvalentine, I guess that would make them kind of reverse saddle lol....too bad I have a set of control arms there ;-) would be nice to put the tank there. I have thought about custom making a flat pancake tank that would fit about the driveshaft but that would require a driveshaft loop etc etc.

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

i havnt measured, but from being familiar with the chevys and the nissans my eyeball says it would be a close fit and should work. the tanks are a little narrower these days on some of the trucks due to haveing to clear transfer cases and drivelines, and Dvalintine is correct on the new tanks being inside the frame, another smart thing on new trucks is they come with boxed in frames.

i remember when i was a kid my dad had a brand new 77 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 454 with duel side tanks. Chevy's socalled recall on those consisted of turning your truck back in thus loosing the money you had already been paying into it, or they payed you back a small amount of $ and realesed them from liability. what a deal. :rolleyes:

years later a lady plowed into the side of dads truck, didnt blow up!! insurance fixed the body and back on the road it went.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. coilover

coilover Member

Here are a few approaches we use to relocate fillers. First pictures are of a hinged board set up. The kit is very pricey so we use two 80's to 90's Cougar or T-Bird fuel door hinges along with the electric release and a screen door spring for a total cost of about twenty bucks. The next is a 66 with a blazer tank and the filler on the inside of the bed side. You can see the tank just behind the wheel in the left side shot and it is higher than the bottom of the fender.

Attached Files:

6. coilover

coilover Member

Here's one more set up that makes an outside filler very unobtrusive. It is a "pop-up" cap that the motorcycle guys use. The kit is not pricey and if the chrome is sandblasted, primed, and painted body color it's not at all knobby looking like the factory cap.

Attached Files:

7. steve

steve Member

Just Surffing around

I been reading different post here, this is my fill hole location, parts and tank from a CJ 7.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      74.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      88 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

9. steve

steve Member

Stock Market

Will be buying stock in white vinegar later this week, the two extra gallons of fuel will be great to have and the breaded fuel hose I also used.

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  11. steve

steve Member

Never Die

We all resurrect these old iron trucks, dang! a post ant nothing, :D If I keep welding and burning stuff I will be a fabricator some day.

Fuel locations are all unique, I was thinking of enlarging the bed picket to hide everything. I could not handle all that fabrication.
    I do believe my 1959 body is still stock except the fuel hole being filled.

12. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Sure you can handle it.... you've already proven you can: :)

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      116.3 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      79.3 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg