Gas tank relocation

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by bob39666, Aug 16, 2001.

1. MikeRS17

MikeRS17 Member

Yep, thats exactly what I did, called them and says they already have a pattern for them, but I gotta wait 6 weeks, shucks :(

2. Zekes64

Zekes64 Member

With all the talk about whats safe and not going on...I have decided to put a fuel cell between my framerails. With all of them out there....theres bound to be one that will fit.Sure the fuel cell will cost a little more...but I dont like the idea of being BBQd. I figure the cell with the bladder should do the trick.

Of all the regular tank installs I have seen...I like Troy Bakers the best. He used a Jeep tank.

As for the talk about tanks in the cab vs between the frame ...think about it...you get hit and the tank behind the seat explodes or ruptures and a fire breaks out...IN THE CAB! A between the frame tank expoldes or ruptures...you at least have the back of the cab to shield you a little from the heat and flames. Might have a chance to get out without too much of a scorching.

3. Bannear

Bannear Member

I am thinking of doing a tank location swap on my 1966 Shortbox Fleetside, so my wife and young son can ride with me - I guess I should be worried about myself too ..I am a novice at some of this upgrade stuff (rebuilt to stock 53Chev PU, 53 Chev Station Wagon). I was talking to someone who said 70-78 ? Chev Blazer or GMC Jimmy tank would fit under the bed of my 66 and straps and lines are all where you need them. Does anyone know if this is possible? (I know new lines, new lines ... :) )

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Check this out,

http://pages.zdnet.com/64moneypit/daves64chevy/id10.html

5. Bannear

Bannear Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-02 AT 01:39 PM (CST)]I have been researching gas tanks and I thought I would share some sites that I have found with other companies offering tanks for 60-66 pu's (no slight to all the good folks at Chevy Duty):

1.60-72 -Aluminum tank - Pricy $419 - needs separate send unit, but they have a 30 Ohms version
    http://www.classicperform.com/product-pages/trucks/60-72/Aluminum-Gas-Tanks.htm

2.63 -66 Steel tank - $225 - 63 -66 pu Gas tank kit, 20 gallon steel gas tank,pickup, includes tank, mounting straps,sending unit, gasket and lock ring, 29 inches x16 inches x 13 inches, does not work with
    original gauge (has 90Ohm send unit)
    http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/dyncatV2.asp?which=amclsall&p1=initial&p2=Gas+Tank+Items&iyear=1966&ytype=to&exyear=

Fuel Cells which may fit ... haven't tested myself, so won't say for sure ... Do your measuring. My frame rail flange to flange is just over 16 3/4 inches. If you are lowering your truck keep the tank as flat as you can go ... A Lot of guys suggest an aluminum box around your tank unless it is aluminum or steel already and if you are really low a skid plate.
    3. Fuel Cell, $96.39 - 15 gallon drag cell w/sump, 25x16.875x9.25 - Summit part # BOB-11102-1
    http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp%3FType%3Dbykeyword%26Part%3Dfuel%20cells%26Search.x%3D1%26SearchType%3DBoth

4. $219 - RCI Street Rod Fuel Cells - 30 in. x 9 in. x 12 in., 15 gallon capacity, aluminum, street rod style, with sender,fuel cell
    RCI designed this lightweight aluminum fuel cell just for you street rodders. It features a raised, straight filler neck, a built-in GM 0-90 ohm fuel sender, and a narrow design for frame rail mounting. It holds 15 gallons of fuel and measures 30 in. x 9 in. x 12 in.

6. Twisters 4x4

Twisters 4x4 Member

55 Belair tank

My 65 short bed is about to finish up.
    I am looking at a replacement 55 Chevy Bel Air Tank that measures 25 1/4 x 25 x 8 1/4 tall.
    Has anyone tried this yet?I like the size and can make it fit with the filler neck coming out behind the license plate.
    DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0213.JPG

DSCF0209.jpg

DSCF0214.jpg

DSCF0215.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

8. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

Thats a good lookin 4x4 you got there, very nice paint choice!

I wanted to install my filler neck behind the lisense plate but I'm pretty sure the plate is too low for the filler hose to reach the top of the new tank...

Just be sure to measure and double check the placement of the '55 tank when installing it, could always make a cardboard replica tank to see how it will fit and where the filler neck will be situated. FYI: most use a full size chevy blazer tank or a custom fuel cell, actually most of the magazines will sell you a blazer tank claiming its a custom tank for 60-66;)

be sure to post more pics of your progress!

9. Twisters 4x4

Twisters 4x4 Member

Blazer Tank

That Blazer Tank looks to be way too tall.It might still look like a Bladder hanging way down.