Gauge Problems

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by Raider Rudy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy Member

I have a 71 CST SB with a 350 engine. The gas, temperature & ammeter gauges do not work. I replaced the gas & temperature sending units & also tried another cluster with gauges & they still don't work. Anybody have a clue? Im bad with electrical & am considering changing the harness but that is expensive!:cool:

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The 71 used a printed circuit board thats distributes power to each gauge as well as the light bulbs.
    Most times it is this board that is at the root of gauge problems. Are the dash lights working ?

[​IMG]

DVal

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy Member

The dash lights are working. I tried 2 other full intrument clusters & had the same exact problem.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Then it must be the power supply, ( harness ), coming into that printed circuit board. If you have a probe light, ( cheap, but valuable tool), see if you can determine is there is power at the harness. I'll assume that you checked for the obvious blown fuse.
    Use the probe light to see if there is power coming out at the fuse panel first.

DVal

5. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy Member

I think you are probably right on! Im going to dig out my probe light & start probing. I not real confident with eletrical but you pretty much agree with my suspicions. I'll let you not what happens, thanks!

6. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, Chevy put two other fuses in the engine compartment wiring that effect the gauges. There is one on each side of the radiator, they are in a small pull apart fitting. If I remember right they are 5 amp fuses if not smaller.

Vince