Glass installation woes.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by strangedaze, Jul 17, 2010.

1. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

I would enjoy hearing some tips and tricks to installing glass on these trucks. I have a 1/2 ton I'm doing a mild fix up on to make into a daily driver.

I learned 2 things when installing the rear corner glass. Soap is your friend, and you better have eatin your wheaties when it comes time to install the retainer strip (wrapping the metal handle on the cheaper installation tool helps a lot also)

So now I'm working on the rear window glass and the windshield. Maybe I'm doing this completely backwards, but it seems totally impossible. I cracked the windshield once, and just cracked my original rear glass while trying to install it. Sadly I'm to broke to crack 8 pieces of glass before I get it right.

Please help me out, what's your method you have and any hints for installing the windshield and rear glass.

Thanks for your time and any responses :)

BTW I'm moving onto the doors after that, hows that job?

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

3. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

Yeah I already knew the information in there. I was looking for something more descriptive or tricks on doing it. Thanks though, that is quite the awesome thread you have.

Maybe I'm just window cursed.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Not many tricks, lots of creative and colorful language. It is one of the worst jobs to do on these trucks, especially if you have the chrome strips on the windshield.

5. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Bike tire changing tool

Look at my post:https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=11443&highlight=window

I feel your pain!

The bicycle tire changing tool was perfect for this operation (see last post on this thread).

If you still have your old glass, check the dimensions of the new pieces and make sure they did not make them too big. Just a 1/16" of an inch here or there will make a big difference.

Greg

6. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

Thanks for the link, seems the plastic tool is a better approach then a traditional metal dog bone by far. I don't have the extra cash to get the competitors rubber but hopefully more patience and a better tool will help me out.

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I finally popped for Steele rubber. It is WELL worth it.

8. Zig

Zig Member

Nothing wrong with a better tool...

The side lights were easier than the back glass. My arms still ache when I think of what it took to get the glass in there!
    I will use Steele for the front windshield if it is that much better.

You definantly want to keep the kids indoors when doing this job.

9. brit 50

brit 50 Member

String theory

A little tip, when installing glass use waxed string/cord, or you can wax what you have with a candle if you have the patients. It helps the string slide on the rubber and stops binding in the tight radius areas;)

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Window Pull String

...I use plastic wire as that's *very* slippery .

Most folks use far too large a diameter string or wire .

I'm getting ready to install the back glass in my new old truck , I know it won't be fun but my son says ' no worries Pop , I'll help you ! ' :rolleyes: .

11. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Look toward your local glass shop

I tried to go with rubber from our host and I am not at all pleased with them. Just too difficult to work with and not at all happy with the final fit. Only one quarter window was done and there is absolutely no room to get the locking bead in. When it came time to attempt the driver's side, rubber is a couple inches cut too short - and that was new in the package. There is a local auto glass shop in town and the owners have several antique cars of their own. I stopped by and they quoted me $5 per foot on their rubber (and they will ONLY use the black rubber locking bead - he said the 'chome' painted plastic will not hold up and will have to just be replaced in a couple years in the elements). I am not sure what their installation charges will be, and i will most likely need at least one more piece of glass and maybe two. In my particular case, i think i will be better off just letting my local auto glass shop do the installation as i am confident they have the experience and costs may end up being about same as Steele Rubber's. I just wish i had not wasted my money and time with a lesser product from Classic Parts (their door rubber and other products seem to be ok so far).
    Coincidently, I was watching Trucks! tv show today and they are installing NEW corner windows - converting a 3 window to 5. (episode airs again tomorrow, Sunday, July 25 - check you local listings for SPK or Spike Channel). They too had their local glass professional to install and he used window cleaner as a lubricant AND he started the rubber on the SIDE and not bottom or top as has been suggested elsewhere. So who knows?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  12. coonkka

coonkka Member

Well I have had every one of the above bad experiences.. My fingers are wore out. Gonna have to wait for some man power to arrive and help me out. I am thinking about trying the wd40 thing and the bicycle tool.

13. Sitesg419

Sitesg419 Member

I managed to install all my glass with rubber purchased from our host. I did learn the hard way on my corner glass when the locking bead installation tool slipped and scratched my paint :mad: just make sure you use a lot of masking tape around the windows!

14. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

::::edit i see this is a 4 year old thread but:::
    ive been on the glass biz for 8 months now and needed my boss to give me a hand on installing mine. so call a glass guy. it sucks to spend money but then you know its done right and will look good.
    but if you want to do it go buy this tool below. DONT USE WD40!!!! use soapy water or spray glass cleaner. dont use a screw driver or any metal near the glass. buy platic pry tools from harbor frieght or eastwood. use clothes line for the rope in process up front. take your time.
    you will need this tool
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What Skeeter Said !

As WD40 is crap that WILL attack and rot your new rubber .

FWIW , I found a nice original backlight grommet for my old truck mentioned above and my Son and I slipped in the used glass in 5 minutes .

Using a flexible plastic coated wire or nylon rope really helps ease things because it slips more , that's the whole point when installing glass .

16. coonkka

coonkka Member

Well I got the R side corner in after much cursing and my thumbs sore. I am wondering about the rope way do I put it in the glass slot and then put glass in slot and push on glass while pulling on rope?? sorry for the crazy dumb ? but first timer.
    Thanks

17. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

On rear and corners, put rubber in hole, then rest glass in glass track on rubber, put thin string in glass groove and pull opposite ends. You should meet at a corner and pull both ends of string toward you to finish popping the rubber out. It helps to have an extra set of hands to hold the glass from falling out.