GMC 1955 First Series with Hydramatic

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssexton1, Dec 19, 2010.

1. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Okay, this is Sandy again. I looked at two trucks yesterday in Springfield, and you all are right that I need to set my sights on something that is already completed. Can you look at this one with the extra pictures of under the hood and also under the truck.

I know that you all will be honest with me, and I hope that I am not driving you all nuts with my questions.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1955-GMC-Pickup-360477.xhtml?actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2FvehicleSearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=92437

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. federale

federale Member

Sandy,this looks like a clean truck and the hydromatic is a good choice. My personal tastes don't run to flatbeds on pickups or the sun visor and eyebrows on the headlights. Sorry I'm no help am I ?:mad:

3. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Oh that is okay. I don't care for the flat-bed, but I do like the idea of having the original engine and Hydramatic. It appears to be more of a classic and not a rat rod. Later I could always save my money for a new bed. I am also impressed with the front grill chrome.

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

If in you go on and buy that blue 55 the orthodontist will have to use a few power assisted come-along ‘s about the 80 horse power rated ones to just be able to draw that tooth back anywhere near what straight toof should be. As it is it looks for sure it could easily pick baby ears of corn through a picket fence.
    So why not just Run down to Dallas area to look at that truck in Greenville, Texas, which is about 50 miles east of Dallas on I30 that Evan told you about, it is a Chevy and you will save a lot of money not having to buy a G then havin to go see the dentist.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  5. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Wow. That was a good reality check. I'm waiting on Evan for some more info a out the truck in Greenville. Thanks

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Nice truck, I think it is still too expensive. If you don't like a flat bed, don't go over budget on a truck that doesn't have a real bed. You may have paint issues later trying to match it to a new bed.

If you still have not found one, Spring Autofair is in Charlotte in April. There are always trucks to be found out there.

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

That is the strangest looking "261" I've ever seen.

8. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Good eye Bill and you're right, that's not a 261. It's probably a 248 or possibly a 270. If a person were to look down where the #'s are stamped by the dist. it will be stamped with a 248 or 270 and if a person was lucky , a 302. Here's what a 261 should look like, look at the head bolts on the 2 different heads. Also the 261 has bigger oil lines on the left side of the block and 2 raised bars in the casting on the right side of the block.....Big Tim :cool: tims pics 026.jpg

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Beater Jimmy

Jeezo-Peezo ! that paint job SUX . it looks like they used a bug sprayer . not to mention the overspray everywhere , that'll drive you batty after a while .

That's a $6,000 truck at best , he's right on I-10 , a mojor traffic corridor so he sells lots of oldies to folks who don't know it's a raggedy old bit of junk .

It'd make a terrific restoration base though .