GMC 305 V6 Hard to find parts??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by cssreb, Sep 28, 2004.

1. dwllp

dwllp Member

Hi all i am new to the board .i have 65 gmc v6 3/4 ton truck runs good . i am interested in selling it. anybody interested . i live in socal.

2. sacaircooled

sacaircooled Member

Gmc 305 v6

If you are still looking for 305 v6 parts, I just came across 3 short blocks, worthy of machining and rebuild. 2 have the cranks, cams & pistons intact. in Sacramento, CA. email: sacaircooled@hotmail.com

3. TEAMLOSIXXXNT

TEAMLOSIXXXNT Member

1964 305 v6 for sale

Hello, i have a 1964 gmc v6 305 for sale. This WAS rebuilt about 2 years ago for my uncle. we were going to put it back into the 1964 gmc fleetside that it came out of. but the truck never got restored. my uncle past away after we got the truck tore down and rebiult the motor. this motor has never been started since the rebuild. i also have other usable parts from the truck. If interested, please email me at dsjorn14@aol.com or you can call me at 260-443-2209 . Thanks, david

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  4. Joe Dial

Joe Dial Member

GMC used the V6 starting with the 1960 models and going at least thru 1970. There were several versions of them. I don't know what the different letters meant, but they identified them with 305C etc. There were several different letters, but I don't remember any of the others. They also had a 351, a 400 or 401, and a 702 V12 used in big trucks. From 1960 thru 1966, they were the only engines available besides the 230,250, & 292 Chevy straight sixes - no V8's until 1967. They are still a LOT of them on irrigation wells, a lot of them are the V12's. A good place to look for parts are irrigation engine shops. Joe

5. Debonair

Debonair Member

305 Automatic transmission adapter FOR SALE

Super rare OE Item.

$200.00 + Shipping

Located in San Jose, CA so if you are anywhere close by I can meet you.

email me at iamthor@hotmail.com

6. mike1956

mike1956 Member

305 v6 1965

yes this motor is a power house per its spec i just pull a 3/4 cab out od ditch i bought for part it has the cab the v6 with the tranmisson the reason it lokks strange is the valve cover resemble the chev 409 parts can be obtained for this motor thru oreilys auto and and jim carters out of kansascity mo iam pulling motor and transmissoin out if anyone needs parts for a 305 i will have or will sell the whole thing they can be rebuilt i will have motor mounts and everything. also have doors for 65 fenders and some other parts but the 305 is complete except carb. if you looking for parts or engine let me know 660 659 2382 mike

7. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Any chance you have the factory tranny dust cover from your 305 V6? Please let me know. Thanks and have a great day.

8. Gusty

Gusty Member

1966 parts

I recently got a 1966 GMC 3/4 ton with the 305 V6. I'm finding that parts that work in the 60 to 65 may not work in the 66. Anyway, the water pump leaks out of the bottom and I'm not sure if it's a gasket or if the seals are gone. If it's the seals I'll either need to find a way to rebuild or start a quest for a new pump which will probably take longer than the Lord of the Rings. Has anyone had experience with these pumps?

9. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

I have an OLD V-6 from a C60 chevy dump truck, I believe it's a 432 cubic inch, I'll try an find the 2 pics and share with You.

Jim

10. wendigo

wendigo Member

GMC V6 Hard to find parts

YOU are right it was a dumb counter question,I have a 305 V6 engine out of a 1968 GMC Truck...

11. wendigo

wendigo Member

1968 GMC 305 V6 engine and trans For Sale

I have a 1968 GMC 305 V6 engine for sale complete with 4 speed manual new process transmission bolted to it.asking $500 O.B.O. for more info or to make an offer you can call 352-861-6379...also have the radiator for an additional $100

12. GMCBear

GMCBear Member

GMC V6's, V12's and the rarer V8 are getting to be far and few, but there where a lot of them made and sold in there short run. A lot of people don't even know they where ever made and most of those that do know of them, know lil about them and have lil or no experiance with them. I have owned a '65 GMC pick-up with a 305E V6 in it since 1986 and I love hearing about how well built they where and how they'll drag a mountin down if you can get the traction. I also like it when people talk about what gas hogs they are! HA! or how they suck to drive on the street because of thier low RPM....If they only really knew! I can honestly say that my GMC V6 and the others I have been around and have worked on may be no load RPM rated to 3600, but they would all turn 4500RPM with lil or no difficulty running under load....not bad...considering most older stock american engines redline at 5000 to 5500 RPM any way. but find one other than an industrial diesal or a GMC that peak's its tork at or below 1600RPM like these things do...Remember HP is relivant only to speed, but TORK is what gets the job done! I have never powered out pulling a grade with my GMC V6 and I always seem to pass the older carburated big block guy's by the time I reach the top and even in 100+F days I've never seen my temp gage read over 200deg.F. As far as being a gas hog...well Mine gets 12mpg around town, open-road and off-road, towing depends on the load and conditions involved, but the worst mpg I got with mine was when I towed my friends toy hauler(16000lbs. and 30 to 40 mph head winds 90% of the way) home for him after he lost the tranny in his 454 V8 powered 1ton suberban, I only got 9mpg, which made my friend mad with envy, for he said under the same conditions he only gets 7 to 7.5 mpg. If you want to know more about what I have learned and know about GMC engine's since owning not one but four of them, ask me and I'll tell you what I know from my research and personal experiance with them.

13. Astro

Astro Member

Parts?

Maybe I missed something...but I don't see that anyone has answered the original question. Where to find parts for the 305. Anyone know?

14. bama67

bama67 Member

305 GMC big block V6 parts

I have a low mileage (43,000) GMC 305 V6 for sale . It is still attached to the original 4 speed transmission. Everything is in good working order and didn't leak or smoke when pulled. I have everything except starter, distributor, and power steering pump. (already sold) Let me know what you need. Also I have a nice velour & vinyl bench seat that was reupholstered not that long ago that I would like to unload as well. EMail me at houghyvette@bellsouth.net

15. tinylevi

tinylevi Member

Believe it or not but Auto Zone still stocks a ton of parts for the 305. You can also get some parts from LMC Truck, but not very much. There are some hard to find parts I guess.

Here is a list of part numbers that also includes a lot of 305 parts: http://www.6066gmcguy.org/partnumbers.htm

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  16. rightone1974

rightone1974 Member

I have a 1968 gmc 3/4 ton truck and it has the 351e big block V6 in it from the factory. With factory ac power steering and power brakes. I know the 351 is a 409 big block that has 2 cylinders cut off. The 305 v6 not sure what it is a run off of. They also have a 702 v 12 that is 2 351 v6 together.

17. Josephfromnc

Josephfromnc Member

weld truck driven daily needs pistons

I have driven this 1 1/2 ton daily for 15 years before some bozo put caro sryup in my oil fill hole, and froze my rocker arms causing the exhaust valve to go through number 4 piston, now Kanter, and Silv-o-lite doesn't have any, and Kanter has the make them. I can get rings but not pistons. Has Any one got used standard piston for 305v6 4.25 bore.? Thanks for reading Send info to Josephisabove@gmail.com I am in NC

18. jonny2

jonny2 Member

hmm nice... i agree with you .

19. topjimmy1966

topjimmy1966 Member

1966 gmc

I bought my 1966 GMC Truck in 1982, MY 2nd vehicle I bought.

30 years later in 2012, I still have my 1966 GMC Truck with the orginal 305 V6 motor, with over 337,000 miles on it as I have not done anything to the motor except adjust the valves and change the seals, change the starter, carburetor, water pump, fuel pump, and took the oil bath air filter out and put in a standard air filter.

I have done standard tune up's (Distributor Cap, Points, Condensor, Spark Plugs, Gas filter every 10k or so. Changed the oil more often than recommended with using Slick 50 at least 10 times in the oil changes...

THIS MOTOR is very strong motor, starts everytime, unless something external to the motor is wrong. Gas mileage is not the best as about 15 to 16 mpg, but RELIABLITY, and this motor is # 1.....

This is one tough motor as I lived back East in the 1980's and moved back west in the 1990's with a 4,000 trip across the USA in this truck...

I had a cousin who told me he had this motor in a Jeep 4 wheel drive and wanted a different motor in it because of gas mileage, and tried to blow the motor up, by 4 wheeling the hell out of it, and the motor would not blow up, they ended up just taking motor out he said..

ONE TOUGH MOTOR MAN !!

20. davemurdough

davemurdough Member

glad too see interest in these engines. here is a small list of parts that need a good home. ... factory h.e.i. distributor , very rare. heavy duty water pump,
    misc. starters, distributors, etc, 1965 702 v-12, runs. call me thanks,, dave

(603)446-5217