Great Day!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, May 4, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Oh YEAH, baby!

That's ...TODAY!!!!!!:D:D:D

Hopefully the rain will stay away!

2. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

Nope it's this weekend June 6th. I'll be there.

3. Zig

Zig Member

Oooooo....

So that explains the empty lot?:rolleyes:;):eek::D
    I want a shot of your truck with the hood down.:D

What time will you be there so I can tune my family out?

4. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

I'll be there around 6ish. Hope to see you there. We'll chat about your brake setup.

5. Zig

Zig Member

Here you go!

I can hardly believe that the rain and tornadoes left us alone long enough for the car enthusiasts to show their rides. As promised, shotwheels (Rob) was there! For me, it doesn't get much better than this! A beautiful G and an owner that doesn't mind me pummeling him with questions!:D

Anyway, I thought I'd post some pictures of Rob's ride for you~ I think it's a pretty slick ride! ...And only 47 miles on a brand new 350!:cool:

BTW, that's Rob in the first picture standing by his truck.
    The second picture shows that you CAN have your hood closed at a car show! (But with an engine compartment as nice as his, WHY?)
    The third shows some creative ideas for doing the inside. After my cardboard CP door panels fell apart in two years time, I'm going to go this route. That's a CP bed that had some installment issues. (Although you'd never know it by looking...) And finally, a Nova rear end under some nice exhaust work.

Hopefully, Rob will still have this when I'm done with mine! Then there will be TWO Gs side-by-side at a car show. His V8 and my mighty 228!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

Hey, I think I've seen that truck before......Can't remember where though. Great pics Zig. But you forgot the to take a pic of the engine bay. Or did you?.............

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Door Panels

....Can be home made up out of Masonite , finding the correct color might take you a while tho..... :rolleyes:

8. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

So, if like me you’re ever a long way from home and in Kansas you have to go visit with Zig – the perfect host.

It was good to see another AD in the middle of rebuild and able to actually talk to someone about it face to face. The only others I’ve seen have been on the road and running. So to share Zig’s thoughts on what he’s done / doing / going to do was terrific. The ‘yeah I’ve had that problem’, and ‘well I tried that and it didn’t work’, and ‘this is what I’ve done’ conversations were almost worth the air fare alone.

And if my truck looks not too like my avatar (well it did before I started taking it apart), Zig’s looks nothing like his (well I guess it did before he started taking it apart).

The ATHS (www.aths.org) show in Hutchinson was also a real worthwhile visit. Not only were there lots of AD’s to see and talk with owners about, but (and this was amazing) there were four AD’s from the GM Heritage Collection (http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/heritage/home/index.jsp). Now I know what these things look like brand new.

Thanks again to Zig for a great day, I mean does this guy never stop smiling…

9. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

I have to agree. Zig is a great guy. I had a blast talking about his truck, my truck and all the goodies and tricks that we can do to these trucks. Hey Zig, i forgot if you need a complete 1/2 stock front end for your truck let me know I forgot I have my panels front end still it's in storage. I could remember if you were still using the 3/4 ton spindles or if you changed them out.

10. Zig

Zig Member

What can I say?

Not since i discovered the great kind of folk that tune into this site!;)

I still can't get over the fact that you were actually here, Mel! (Well, you and your lovely wife, Sue.) And I REALLY can't believe you already are putting the front of yours back together! It won't be long until I'm the only one with his truck in pieces!:( (OK~ now I'm not smiling...)

Hey, Mel~ My dad found that the Hanney Family Band lived in Marksville over there. I need to do the GSI and find how far away that is from where you live.

Thanks for making the trip out here, and all my best with your build!

11. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Rob!

Well... My truck is a 3/4 that I have a 1/2 ton axle waiting on. I took it down to bare metal, etched primed it and painted it black. So, I guess I'm good as far as that goes. The only problem now is, I have IFS dreams dancing in my head! The bolt on, 1/2 ton with spacers, cut out a coil and a 1/2 to get 'er back down, power steering... (Please read that as if "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" just said that...) Better ride AND w-a-y less cost (very important!) than completely rebuilding the original front end?
    I have to watch how much I spend- since my income is it, so to speak. If and when my wifes job gets off the ground, well...:(
    Plus, there is GREAT stuff about how to do this in other posts!
    (Thanks to those who took the time to give us all those beautiful pictures on how this is done AND the explanations as to how and why.)

As far as your engine compartment~ I thought I had one also! I guess I'll have to get one of both yours AND mine at a car show. Your V8 and my mighty 228!:cool:

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

hey i finally am getting around to posting these pics from our meeting. Thanks again for the parts. I have not had time to put the brakes on yet, but am hoping to tear into them soon.

The last two pics are of my truck, the blue pearl! and one of them shows me pushing it up into my driveway. I will post some more pics soon hopefully.

bdw

Attached Files:

13. Zig

Zig Member

I can't wait to see how my pictures turn out! I miss-placed my camera, found it, now will have to wait to get them back~ I am SO glad that you haven't got the brakes done yet! It seems like everyone who had torn there truck apart AFTER I started mine is done now! Take your time, Brian!
    BTW~ Do you need my slow drip MC for your truck? I rebuilt it, but it was pretty bad off. I guess I did good to get it to just an occasional drip~ BUT, seeing as though it IS the master cylinder...:eek:
    I just always checked it before I went anywhere and topped it off if its level had dropped any. It might be all you'd need to get you to the point where you will decide on a complete upgrade like I want to do.:rolleyes:
    Let me know!

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks for the offer, however I already have a new one. I was going to rebuild mine also, but it was full of rust, so i just went with a new one. I will try to get some more pics loaded soon.

Thanks for everything'

bw

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Drippy Brake Master Cylinder Fix

Assuming you cannot afford a new one or you're stubborn (unlike ME for example :rolleyes: ) after buying a rebuild kit , take a bit of an old leather belt and duct tape it to a thick drill bit , wet with brake fluid and use it in a high speed drill to polish the bore of the drippy master cylinder ~ once it's shiny & smooth , wipe clean until it passes the paper towel test then re-assemble remembering to thoroughly wet _everything_ sloppy wet with fresh brake fluid ~ once assembled and has the rubber dust boot in place , clean the exterior with brake cleaner before getting it near your truck , mount & bleed .

Once in a while you'll get one that simply will no longer seal due to one too many rebuilds causing oversize bore , DO NOT fit oversize cups to svae it in this case .

16. Zig

Zig Member

amazing...

Anyone notice how many "views" this post has received?:eek:

17. Chiro

Chiro Member

"Anyone notice how many "views" this post has received?"

Holy crap!!!:eek:

Andy

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whatta view !

FIFTEEN THOUSAND VIEWS ?! :eek:

Wow :)

19. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

Wow

Yep, that's a lot of views. Hey Zig, don't forget the 4th of July show in the park. Hope to see ya there.

20. Zig

Zig Member

No doubt about it! My dad and I will make our usual pass through. Just can't wait for when I'm going there in MY truck!