Hard start in the morning

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

I currently have an Hei distributor and had it a long time the truck used to start right away every time now Its taking a while to start but once it starts it start right away the rest of the day not quite sure what the problem is. any suggestions and thanks for any help

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Ron,

Have you checked the plugs to see if they are okay? Or used any carb cleaner to clear out the crap the new gas does today?

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

plugs

hay charles hows things i will check the plugs there about 2 years old, but thats a possibilty would it hard start only when its cold if the plugs are bad.

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'd guess it is a fuel problem. Maybe the carb is leaking down over night and needs to be pumped back full before it'll start.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

My ' S.W.A.G. ' :

Is , the crappo " Motor Fuel " shyte they're selling is evaporating overnight ~ that's the most common cause of hard initial starts after sitting overnight .

My current '69 Chevy C/10 does this , in the early AM I crank it and it *instantly* lights off but most of the time dies after burning off the fuel I added by depressing the accelerator pedal once before cranking it .

I then crank it a bit more and as soon as the carby bowl fills , it roars into life and idles fine as it warms up and I go open the gate .

I suppose adding a correct , low pressure high volume electric fuel pump would fix this but I'm stubborn and it never , EVER vapor locks so I don't want to go cutting the perfect original steel line between the tank and fuel pump .

6. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Arizona Gas

Hey Nate i think that AZ gas doesnt evaporate as quikly as Calif. gas but the glass bowl near the carborater stays full even if i let it sit for a week or 2

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hard Cold Start

O.K. ;

The glass bowl isn't vented so the fuel in there shouldn't evaporate .

Try this to - morrow morning : depress and release the throttle to the floor mat twice , , holding it down 1 second before releasing and the second time it's down , pull the choke right out until it stops before releasing the throttle .

Now turn on the ignition and crank it ~ if it fires right away , that's your problem .

I'm quite sure your HoataZona fuel's are much better but it's that time of year and yadda yadda .

If this gets you going , consider adding one ounce of MMO or ATF to a full tank of fuel then drive it 'round a bit to slosh it around and mix it well before shutting it off again .

Report back here and sooner or later you'll get it right .

BTW : is it a true HEI or just a Pertronix Ignitor ? .

True HEI will want .065" plug gaps , Pertronix will want .035" gaps minimum , use round wire gapping gauges .

I assume you've upgraded the power wire to the HEI ? it needs a # 10 gauge wire to work 100 % as it draws more current than do points ignitions.

I added a power relay to the firewall 4" from my starter motor and it works terrific ~ HEI is , hands down , the best bang for your buck there is .

8. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

HEI Dist.

Ya its a true HEI got it from a guy at the long beach swap meet its been great i did have the carb. rebuilt i forgot about that it seems thats when the hard starting trouble began any way Nate thanks for the help i will probably get to it next weekend ill keep you posted.