Heater Control

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by vwnate1, Feb 18, 2012.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I see many of these rigs have broken off sliders , mine did so I schlepped on down to Pick-A-Part and found a decent looking one , brought it home ($7.00) and took both apart yesterday , mine not only had a broken defroster slider but the rivets inside were loose and the switch didn't work right so I carefully took the blower switch apart & cleaned it , polished the copper contacts , lubed the nylon slider with White Lithium grease & re assembled it and Lo ! my heater blower now works gangbusters on high and properly on the lower two settings .

I then tapped the slider's pivot pin out with a hammer & wire brushed all the various parts clean then lubricated the slider pivots & pin with graphite grease and the cable posts with White lithium grease , now everything slides easily back and forth , forth and back , just like it's supposed to , no need to buy those $pendy steel sliders if you but take the time to fix things correctly.

The little round " Speed Nut " clips that hold the cable in place , are easily removed with needle nosed pliers if you're gentle with them , just tip a bit and gently work off the post , then to re install , squeeze it flat in Duckbill Pliers before re installing and they'll grip tightly like new again .

One of these days I'm going to open up the underhood heater clamshell and find out why the heater diverter door is jammed.....

I must say this is so far , the pleasantest truck I've ever owned .