Hood mounting

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jayz63, May 31, 2023.

1. jayz63

jayz63 Member

Hello all. I have a 48 and when I tried to install my hood the brackets for the springs seem to be in a different location than my 53 hood. Is there a chance they there are different hoods for different years? The green hood is the 48 the silver is the 53. The green brackets for the springs are 1/2” further out than the silver hood. Can someone educate me on if I have the wrong springs or hood.

Attached Files:

2. e015475

e015475 Member

AFAIK the Chevy hoods are all the same. I recently bought hinges for my '49 and it looked to me that the hinges/springs are the same across the years. I do know that the springs can sometimes splay the hood a little causing it to pooch out a little on the sides. I'd think the further out it was, the better.

I just measured mine and it is between the two hoods you posted pictures of. Just production variation?

You might try posting over in stovebolt.com - lots of original/stock guys post there.

3. jayz63

jayz63 Member

Awesome thank you. I mounted the hood and the only way I could mount the springs is to attach them to the hood first then to the firewall. Now the hood doesn’t sit closed all the way at the firewall and the hood is a bit sideways.

4. booger

booger Member

Get a BFH and take out your frustrations!
    Patience

5. jayz63

jayz63 Member

As much as I would love to at this point the good just got back from the paint shop.

6. e015475

e015475 Member

There's a lot of discussions on this forum about aligning your hood and fenders.

47-55.1 47-55 Sloppy hood hinges - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

If you search there for 'hood alignment' you'll find a lot of useful advice. "MARTINSR" has some good information on getting a hood to sit down properly

I'm having a lot of the same problems getting my hood to fit right. I have air struts instead of springs, but if I take the struts off the hood fits fine but won't latch. With the struts on, the hood will latch but the back of the hood is too high. I have a new set of hinges to install to see if I can help this.

One thing you should check before you put too much time try to adjust the hood is to make sure the cab is sitting level on the frame and that the shackles that support the rear of the car are in good condition. You'll chase your tail aligning the hood if the cab isn't sitting level. Mine was off about 1/4" in the back