How do you guys do it?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Dec 17, 2017.

1. coilover

coilover Member

We have a call for two first series Chevy Blazers that the entire top removes so we went out and bought four to be sure and have enough to build two. Three are from Texas and one is from Minnesota. The Texas ones are all 2wd but the one from Minnesota was purchased to get the 4wd and a nice pto winch on the front. Most of the bolts screwed right out of the Texas trucks while on the Minnesota truck most of the bolts didn't even have enough head left for a socket or wrench to fit onto. Open the doors and you can walk in all the way to the transmission with your feet still on the ground. My hats off to anyone that can bring one of these back to life. Bronze Texas truck followed by white Minnesota truck.

IMG_4449.JPG IMG_4451.JPG IMG_4454.JPG IMG_4455.JPG

federale and Lakeroadster like this.
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I owned a '71, Chevy Blazer, from 1979, to about 1984. Even at that point, in it's life, the rockers were rusting. I always loved that body style.
    Those fiberglass tops are HEAVY! So heavy, that after removal, the things ride pretty rough.

Once finished, you will have a high dollar vehicle. Prices they get these days, stun me. I think in this type of vehicle, bone stock restoration is the way to go. Right down to the hub caps.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Of the trucks Chevrolet has produced through the years these second generation C10's have to be the worst for rust.

My dad bought a '72 C-20 new and within 5 years it had holes rotted in it... and after 9 years it was no longer safe to drive. The web of the rear trailing arms had holes rusted through them. That was in Ohio.

That being said...There's a guy here in town (central Colorado) that has an early 70's 2 door Blazer with the dealer installed camper conversion kit. When's the last time you saw one of those?

That local Blazer appears to be an unrestored OEM original... and is in decent condition.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  4. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Evan,
    My question to you would be (coming from the "rust belt") How can you possibly scrap ANYTHING if it isn't rusted out completely?

I commute on what is arguably the busiest road in Southern New Hampshire. In the interest of safety, the road is so heavily salted that there are times I can't help but think it's snow. The parking lot at work, once again in the interest of safety, is salted to the point where you could actually twist an ankle on the chunks!

Pretty bad when a 10-year old vehicle which appears to have eluded the tin worm is considered "a survivor".