How good are body paint jobs and how much do they cost?

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by paulsmith, Apr 4, 2011.

1. paulsmith

paulsmith Member

I want my new car to be a nice jet black, but am unsure how the quality etc. of body paint jobs are. Are they worth it? Are they expensive? Do they look as good as the original paint job?

2. drabo

drabo Member

Are they worth it? Are they expensive? Do they look as good as the original paint job?

A high quality paint job is only worth it if the vehicle means that much to you. If you find the right body shop your paint job can be better than original. Ask around before you take it somewhere. Try local car clubs since they have been there before. Also black is a really tuff color to get right. High gloss black will amplify any body imperfections. If you need a paint job but don't want to spend the money try Mayco. It will look good from afar.

3. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

a paint job is only as good as you are willing to pay...

Up here in Canada we pay anywhere from $5,000 to 10,000 for a decent quality body/paint job depending on the amount of rust, body work required and the quality of paint finish you want. A car with minimal body work required (solid mostly rust free car) maybe clean up the odd rust hole and remove a few dents with what I class as a "weekend car show quality" finish is around the $5-6,000 Dont mistake this for SEMA show paint quality!!! but still a very nice paint job

Replace the rear quarters, new front fenders, remove dents, prime, base, clear coat, probably closer to $10,000 or more.

4. clyde65

clyde65 Member

Cost is also relevant as to location. You can get a real good job done at any reputable paint shop, but in California and any other CARB type state, it will cost you alot more. Here in Texas it will range by where you go. I would say if no bodywork is needed and the paint or primer is in good ot great shape, you can get a truck painted in the 4-7K range. This would be a high quality job using high quality paint and products. the size of your vehicle also plays into it too.

Can you get a good paint job for less? Sure! but you would really have to know the shop and trust them. materials will be over $1.5K using premium paint and stuff.

5. jinaeve

jinaeve Member

I know this is an old post but thought I'd add for future readers that the quality of the finished product is only as good as the pre-paint prep and then the final detail. If they properly prep the surface for the new pain and it adheres well, the final detail should include color sanding and polishing where you can make an above average paint job look near as good as a SEMA show quality finish.:D