How old are you?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kens 50 PU, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I remember when gas...

Went over 30 cents, 40 cents, 50 cents.....:D

2. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about Palidin (sp). His motto was have gun will travel and his logo was a chess knight. Richard Boone was Palidin. Dressed in black and was one bad SOB.
    I'm with Zig. The 70's pretty much took my short term memory and aging is taking my long term memory. What was I about to say? Never mind. I forgot. I'll think of it afterwhile and bring it up long after everyone else has forgotten the subject.
    Gater

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I remember selling it at 19.9 cents a gallon during a "gas war".

My first job was at a gas station in summer of '62. Got paid 75 cents an hour for a 72 hour week. Couldn't imagine what to do with all that money. I was 15.

4. 1950gmc girl

1950gmc girl Member

I grew up in a not so well of household (financially speaking) but we did have two televisions!..... Of course, one was a big old 27 inch console style boob tube with only sound, and the other was a tiny black and white job with only picture. We just set the small one on top of the larger one, and turned them to the same channel. I distinctly remember watching looney toons, but listening to the baseball games.... That was my old man's doing:)

We also had a nasty little toyota crapolla that I swear my parents pushed more often then they drove it. Dad had to sell his 69 mustang with the pony interior just to provide for the family one winter. But alas, 30 years of dad working for the same company has finally paid off, and my parents can retire early.

Being dirt poor taught us the value of dollar, and that nothing comes free. My parents instilled good work ethics in all of us kids, and showed us that hard work is the only way anything ever truly gets accomplished.

It seems like my generations just does not understand these concepts. So although I am only my mid twenties, I sometime feel like I am in my mid forties.

5. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

I think that I remember all this stuff-- but I'm not sure--- that's why they call me Grandpa!

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

OMG, fellow baby boomers!

We haven't mentioned one of the greatest kids shows of all time. "Who's the leader of the band that's made for you and me? M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E" Jimmie, Annette, Bobby, Darlene, Cubby, Cheryl, Tommy? What the hell were we thinking! Donald Duck rules!!!

7. Steve Katzman

Steve Katzman Member

Baby boomers

Ken, I'm sure we all remember the club, but what sticks in my mind more was my grandmother watching professional wrestling all day on about a 12" B/W TV that was as big as a house. Anyone remember "Killer Kowolski"?

8. Bossman

Bossman Member

Gillette, of course. Along with Luck Strike and, I think, Buick.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

HEY KIDS ! What Time Is it ?!

..It's Howdy Doody Time !!!!

Jess , you're doing fine , we're counting on young folks like you to straighten out the mess we've made :rolleyes:

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Anyone familiar with Houston wrestling knows...

Killer Kowolski and Paul Boesch Promotions "Come get your tickets today at 1313 Caroline" on Ch. 39. I was glued to the tube every Sat night from 10 to 11:30pm watching Houston wrestling. Harley Race, "Superstar" Billy Graham, "Playboy" Gary Hart, to name a few!

It may be staged across America, but it was real at Sam Houston Collesium!;)

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What About ?

Freddie Bassie ? .

BTW : wrestling is staged everywhere around the world . this doesn't mean anyone can do it , nor does it mean you should throw a chair into the ring like some idiots do ~ it's like a very serious ballet where if someone makes a mistake , serious injury can occur .

12. 50 Jimmy

50 Jimmy Member

I'm old enough I can remember milk cartons cost 5 cents at school.The cartons didn't look like shot glasses either.
    I can remember Girls had to wear dresses to school.
    I remember seeing a BRAND new 66' GTO.
    In 1972 my Dad and I went to buy my first car.......it was a 51 Chevy Panel truck,we paid 75$ for it.;)Dad haggeled the guy down because it needed a voltage regulator.
    I can remember being able to function as person without a cell phone.
    I remember "Hollywood Palace" was a weekly family event.

13. shooter2

shooter2 Member

I remember Korea, a gas war ( $.13.9/gal ),my first car was a 54 Ply 4 door.
    I just bought a one owner 49 chevy PU, it was never garaged more than a block from my house. Will take a while to get it running as it has been parked since 1991.
    Jim

ps I also remember milk in school in pint and 1/2 pint milk BOTTLES.

14. put-put

put-put Member

All the stuff i did you guys covered. All the stuff i wished i did....

Great thread!! And very entertaining.

15. billybones

billybones Member

The world needs more youngins like Jess..........

16. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I agree with you "BB"

I'm gonna add 2 more to that list. Kevin and Jon (Kevins48 and Sloromon). Couple of great kids! They were just born in the wrong generation!;)

17. billybones

billybones Member

After hearing of Evel Knievel's passing, I have really been thinking of my childhood and how much fun it was growing up then. We did not need cell phones, x-boxes or computers to have fun. We went outside and MADE our fun. Guys like Evel were some of our heroes.....and we would imitate them with ramps of plywood and haybales and jump with our minibikes, bicycles, snowmobiles............grass in our teeth and in our wounds! Jumping off ropes in ponds and haylofts.........being Mario Andretti with our fieldcars............ohhh what fun we had.
    Watching dad sew up brother Bob's wounds at the kitchen table more than once!!! (I learned that they sell Betadine in BIG bottles!) Man did we have fun.......
    I try to teach my kids what having fun is.............get them OUTSIDE..........my 15 yr old daughter wants a dirtbike!!!! She loves to snowmobile, can shoot a bow better than me., loves to fish (all 3 daughters LOVE fishing) there is hope yet!

18. coilover

coilover Member

Cutting both ends out of cans, place inside and flatten.
    Gathering milkweed down for life jackets.
    Scrap metal drives and saving cooking fat for munitions
    No meat, sugar, and much else without ration stamps
    Gas 18 cents a gallon but only allowed a few gallons a month
    No new tires--period
    Gum wrapped in paper so the foil could be used for the war effort.
    Air raid warnings with blackouts and block wardens
    Finally, wonderfully, the trains blowing their steam whistles till they sat still on the tracks.

19. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Welcome, Shooter 2! You entered on a good post. Let us see some pics of your 49.

There have been a lot of comments about the good old days and the mess we have made but I gotta tell you, my glass is half full, at least.

I have been blessed in my life in spite of attempts to derail myself. The aforementioned youngins' we have on this site are, I hope, the example of what is out there instead of the exception.

I have really enjoyed the little over a year that I have been sharing with you all. I have found that, if we talk politics, religion, guns and unions we mire up. When we talk about old trucks, trains, radio flyers and things that have made us who we are we we get great enjoyment.

As we enter in to the Christmas season let me just wish you all good fellowship with your family. I know that this time of year is tough on folks sometimes for different reasons. I have really enjoyed my time on this forum and want to wish you all a Merry Christmas.
    Bill

20. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

I knew Evan was the Big Chief, I was in elementary school when we we taught to do duck and cover drills under of dinky school desks during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Air Raid Sirens and block wardens, are from legends of my dad and his fellow veterans of WWII.

Jim