How to assemble an AD

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Engine and trans are assembled. Here are shots of the trans linkage and the foot starter.

DSCN7334.jpg

DSCN7335.jpg
    DSCN7336.jpg
    THE a/c AND GEN. MOUNT MOCKED UP.

DSCN7337.jpg

The tailshaft mount....This is where the cork seal goes..
    DSCN7338.jpg

And the ball shaft....
    DSCN7339.jpg

The leather seal goes in the ring which threads on the ball shaft.

The manifolds painted with POR 15 manifold coat.
    DSCN7343.jpg

Engine mostly assembled. I re worked the mounts for the A/C and Gen, to lower the gen and allow mounting of the horn in the fact. location.
    DSCN7346.jpg

Frame scraped and painted. It is amazing how much crap, dirt and grease has accumulated in 57 years, but the frame isn't rusted, so I guess it is a preservative.....
    DSCN7342.jpg

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Bought a replacement front mount, but wasn't impressed. I ended up prying rubber out of the factory mount, then replacing ith the new piece. Her it is under the cover...
    DSCN7347.jpg
    And with the cover..
    DSCN7348.jpg

Here is the shiny new valve cover ready to go on.
    DSCN7333.jpg

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Dirt, grease and grime!

Russ, in the 40 plus years that I've been the parts cleaner, grease scraper, general gopher, I've found that it's always best to start with the dirtiest, greasiest hunk of junk because, just like you said, it preserves the base metal and keeps our enemy (rust) from doing its irreparable damage!

This is such a great thread! Thanks for taking the time to document a great re-build!

Ken

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Work !

Is that a 12 volt generator or a high output Caddy/Pontiac 6 volt one ? .

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That would be the origional gen, converted over to 12v. A friend is coming over this morning to put the eng. back in. Hopefully the front end will also be on this afternoon.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Murphy's law has been in full effect this week. I have finally gotten the mounts for the A/C and gen. worked out. The brass T for the oil filter and the oil press. guage broke off in the block. After many trials with many different easy outs, I reverted to a dremel tool to grind most out with a shop vac. running. Next had to tap threads with the tap handle broken. Finally managed to get it right. Found out the bellcrank mount for the throttle linkage is closer to the firewall than the 216, I'm heading to B.J.'s to see what I can find, otherwise modifiying mine. I'll post pic.s tonight.

7. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

broken TEE

i wonder if you had brazed or silver soldered a brass drift to that fitting if you could have backed it out? on the occasion that we snap a exhaust studs off in the heads on the airplanes that is our technique kind of , we just tig a bolt to waht is left of the stud it gets cherry red does some expanding and contracting we let it cool and you can almost thread them out by hand.
    Im just not sure if can be done with the brass tee you had there since it is a tapered pipe thread i would have not used the EZ out it is justa wedge Snap on sells extractors for soft metal which kinda looks like a "bristol " screwdriver
    Just a thought to late to help now unless the broken tap is still in there you may be able to weld to that and back it out
    Bill

8. Zig

Zig Member

Love this thread!

Sorry about all the problems, Russ, but I love all the pictures! That really looks great even if it is trying to fight you!

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

After my Tourette's ran its' course, this is what I ended up with for the A/C and gen. mounts. I cut off about 2" from the top, re configured the mounting holes, straightened the adjustment strips, etc. Now the gen is low enough that the horn can go in the stock location, the A/C is tucked up neater and is out of sight beneath the gen.....
    DSCN7373.jpg

Aword of advice....the 2 carriage bolts for the front mount should be in there BEFORE you put the timing cover on. Most are pressed in, but mine was not so equipped. We discovered this a bit late, and it wasn't worth the hassle of pulling it back out and removing everything......

I learned that these 6s have different mounts for the bell crank. The 216 mount was behind the manifold. Most...or the ones I found to look at....have 2 boses to thread into. Mine only has one and it is further back, directly under the freeze plug. I had to shorted and bend the throttle linkage to fit without making it obvious...here is what I came up with...

DSCN7378.jpg

And here she sits....
    DSCN7379.jpg
    Yes, that is blood on the linkage, the fan bit me while installing the crank pulley...blood sweat, tears and gears!

I need to install the plug wires and hopefully she will start this morning...
    DSCN7380.jpg

DSCN7381.jpg

DSCN7382.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sweet !

This thread (if it is ever finished) should be a sticky....

There's so much good info here .

You're not goung to use a truck horn then ? .

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That is the horn origionally on this truck...at least when I got it.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Who's Truck Is It Anyway

I'm wondering who has the $ to foot the bill for this , I'd love to see my '49 in this condition...

Approximate costs involved here ? .

There was a local (Gardena,Ca.) shop that did mostly old 40's vintage Chevys and lots of AD's , a TF or three but they suddenly closed up shop last week , more's the pity as I always liked looking at the 10 ~ 15 oldies there as I'd buy fuel across the street .

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

It is going to my uncle, who is fairly high up in the stock world. It is looking like there will be around $35-40k in when done, including purchase. It takes a lot of time, not to mention parts to bring it back, and it still wasn't a frame off resto. I didn't have to mess with suspensoin rebuild, etc. as it is a great driver. SO, WHEN YOU SEE ONE GO THROUGH b.j AUCTION FOR $30k, someone is probably losing money.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Old Vehicle Value

I always tell the NOOBS to go buy a 10 year old restored whatever as you'll save 30 to 50 % right off the top and be able to turn the key and begin enjoying it straightaway but few listen....

I wish I but had the $ as I'd like mine just disassembled , de-rusted , re-painted and re-assmbled pretty much how it is now.. :eek:

15. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

You missed the point!!!

Nate,

You of all people should know it is not the destination but the journey that is the purpose in life. I could have done just as you said and bought a finished project. Where is the fun in that? I have done a lousy job on the body and paint, but it's my lousy job. When it is done, I won't have to go through a long list of shops and people I farmed the work out to.

Sorry to hear about your work.

Greg

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Went out today, determined to start it TODAY, and the starter doesn't work. Took it to get fixed and 12v.

17. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

This is a great thread, especially with the pictures. Question, the picture of the throttle linkage with the blood on it, is that how everybody else's looks? Mine is reversed with the linkage coming from the pedal at the top not at the bottom like the picture shows. I'm assuming now mine is wrong although it works. Interesting, Dave

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Upside down is how it is suposed to be, but with my rear pivot mount, it wasn't possible, I had to adapt and overcome....

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ; Yabbutt ~

You're talking about ME , not the average Joe who just wants a hobby truck to play with , not a zillion little pieces all over the garage and SWMBO pissed off for the next three years before it gets junked unfinished....

I've been ' On The Path ' for over 50 years now , I am *so* smart , I'm about to sell off my 60,000 mile Mercedes coupe with new paint etc. at a dead loss so I can keep my 361,000 mile Mercedes Coupe with a bad engine that smokes , chugs and rattles like a freight train but is in my heart like my truck is.... :rolleyes:

I'm far too old & stubborn to change now ;)

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Starter Woes

Tell me you're NOT having the starter converted to 12 volts ! that'd be a *very* bad thing to do ! .

They'll prolly scrape off the original DELCO ID Tag I see on it too... :(

Those things are dead simple , usually a little bit of cleaning , grease and new brushes makes it work ' As-New ' again .