How to custom fit a steering column....

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

or, here is how street rodders hack up their trucks.
    I am extending my previous column by about 1 1/2 inches. I am using the column from a junkyard truck.

First, pull the column....duh...

Next, cut the outer column tube to length using a sawzall or grinder with a cut off wheel. make sure you cut it straight.
    steering001.jpg

Now cut the inner shaft about 3" longer. (I welded an extension to mine because the steering wheel nut was messed up on the new one)
    steering002.jpg

Find a bearing that fits into the tube and fits the shaft. I plug weld the bearing to the tube...go slow so you don't melt the bearing...
    steering003.jpg

now clean your shaft...no dirty comments here, please...and get ready for paint. Here we have the shaft and tube side by side...
    steering004.jpg

Grind the end of the shaft into a "DD" shape for the u joint to attatch to.
    steering006.jpg

Hopefully tommorrow I will finish up. stay tuned for the reveting conclusion, same bat time, same bat channel......

I'm out,
    Russ

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Interesting Thread....

Keep it coming .

3. coilover

coilover Member

Nice sanitary work, Russ. One thing we do different is to weld a nut for a set screw (or two) on the column tube to retain the bearing. A small flat groove the size of the set screw point holds the bearing without welding and it is removable. Here is a stock AD column and upper shaft adapted to the S10 lower shaft.

Attached Files:

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That works also.....looks like you may need to give that upper valve train a little lovin'

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

O.k, now lets paint and mount the column....
    DSCN5303.jpg

I previously made up a bottom mount and sheetmetal cover. I like the column to barely protrude through the firewall....
    DSCN5302.jpg

Now make up the rest of the shaft assembly. Mock up the linkage using 3/4" dowels and duct tape. once you have the measurements, call and order the parts. I used 1 "DD" to "DD" joint for the column side, 12" "DD" shaft, 1 "DD" to weld on joint, about 6" round shaft, and a weld on to splined joint...
    DSCN5304.jpg

Once everything is connected, determine where to mount the hiem joint, which is needed to support the center section if more that 2 u joints are used. Cut a mount out of steel, drill for the threaded shaft, weld to frame...
    DSCN5305.jpg

Now paint the assembly and drive the snot out of it.....
    DSCN5306.jpg

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008