How to rebuild quad guage

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Nov 23, 2012.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Okay, I messed up on the cluster

Well I took out the fuel gauge and forgot to take a picture or note where that little tag goes that says "connect sender here". Can someone tell me which side it goes on? A picture of the gauge backside would be even better for a numbnuts like me:D

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The power flows left to right......as you are sitting n the truck. 12 to the left, near empty, out to sender from right, near full.

3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Ol' Chebby to the rescue

Thanks for the explanation on gauge. Now if I can get it all back together I'll be happy.

4. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

one more question

I bought a 12volt fuel gauge and installed it but I also painted the housing. I read some where that the gauge grounds on the case so i should scrape the paint off. I assumed that was for the original gauge and not for the new gauge which has a circuit board thing on it to hold the resistors or what ever. So did I screw up by not scraping the paint on the housing for the new gauge?:confused:

5. Tubby

Tubby Member

Post 4 of this thread

Keep in mind the housing itself ground to the dash. So make sure the 4 mounting tabs make good contact. Otherwise your instrument light won't work or will be dim

6. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

One more time

Okay, I guess I have to tear it apart one more time. I was hoping with the new gauge that i wouldn't have to do the paint removal on the housing. Just my luck.:mad:

Thanks Tubby

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Gauge Grounding

No , no ;

You just use new external typ star washers under each of the four nuts that hold the gauge pod to the dashboard....

Me , I de rust the original nuts but new ones will also help .

As usual with the trucks , it's easy - peasy if you don't over think it .

8. Tubby

Tubby Member

One last point on the new 12 volt fuel gauge.

Sometimes....the new gauge will come with a needle that sits higher than the original.

When you have everything assembled make sure that the bezel does not pinch the new needle.
    along with the grounding, it seems a pinched needle seems to be a common problem with the new fuel gauges.

9. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I hope it all works

Okay I'll use the star washers and check the needle. I have to take the speedo apart again as the new needle binds on the glass. Always something:(