How to rebuild vent windows

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

This is on davidack4's vent window.

Strip the window down, clean and repaint. Let paint dry.

Line up the new rubber, using the lump to line it up.
    DSCN6143-1.jpg

now press it in all the way around, the hinge should poke through in the slit in the rubber.

Now put the rear window rubber in and rivet from the window channel side.
    DSCN6144.jpg

Using some good weatherstripping glue, glue in the window track.
    DSCN6145.jpg

Slide the window glass frame through the hole in the bottom, don't forget this washer!
    DSCN6146.jpg

I use a 1/4 inch extension on the top side( it is upside down) then the rivet set tool on the bottom, whack it with a hammer.
    DSCN6148.jpg

It should look something like this...
    DSCN6149.jpg

Use some good urethane setting adhesive fot the glass.
    DSCN6150.jpg

Put the adhesive in the chnnel, then set the glass, close the window and make shure everything lines up, gaps in the rear are right, etc. Put the nut and spring on the bottom of the window, tighten to adjust tension.
    DSCN6151.jpg

Do this again for the other side, then if you are a drinking man, go hve a frosty one. I don't drink, so I just gave Ack a wedgie for celebration.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Very Good !

Is it possible you could perhaps detail the use of the Bucking Tool for the rivets along the strip ? .

Most here won't know how to Buck Rivets and your explanations and photography are very good .

Lastly , thanx for mentioning it's O.K. not to drink ~ I too am dry by choice .

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have a 50 with 51 doors coming in soon for full weatherstrip update....I'll get more pictures as we go.