How you running your exhaust pipes?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mobileortho, Dec 30, 2008.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Power Steering Pulley Installation

The shaft has a threaded hole (3/8" USS IIRC) , screw a 8" piece of All Thread into it (All Thread is just a long threaded rod) , slip the pulley over the All Thread , slip on a couple flat washers then run the nut on , hold the pulley by it's edge as you use a box end wrench to tighten the nut , the flat washers will act as gussets and shove the pulley right on (do NOT try this sans the flat washers ! :eek:) , stop when it slides home , back off the nut , remove the All thread....

It's pretty simple once you give it a go .

2. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Thanks Nate for the info. The pump leaks like a sieve. I'm planning on tearing into it sometime soon. I also need to address the waterpump while I'm at it. I have a serprntine bracket setup from a camaro and you would think that evertyhing would work the way it should, but for some reason the water pump sits about a half off. I verified that I do indeed have the right pump. Looks like I have to get a set of spacers to get it to line up properly.
    Oh the joys of resurrecting old tin!

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

The muffler pipe comes out behind the rear wheel on the drivers side. Not my pick, the guy at the muffler shop figured it was better.
    I'll remember the power steering pump advice. Tho, power steering would be nice, not going to pay to have it installed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Ok Nate, I just couldn't wait so I took the pump off this afternoon. Looks like the leak is coming from around the shaft. I noticed that it was squeeling a but while the engine was running. I see the threaded hole that you spoke of. I wish I had known about it two pumps ago!:( I'll pick up a new pump next week. I do have one more question for ya. When installing the pulley how do you keep the shaft from turning?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Muffler Shop Jerkoffs

If you're paying , YOU get to decide ! .

I too have to argue with the muffler guy occasionally , I'm polite but firm , MY WAY or the highway .

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

P.S. Pump Fun

You're going to hate me for this : grab aholt of the edge of the pully with one hand and turn the ratchet with the other...... ;)

FWIW , I have no problem using junkyard P.S. pumps , I just look uber closely at the back of the pulley and the front of the pump before I take it off the junker ~if it's got 1/16" of wet gritty dirt caked on it , I know the seal is bad and I don't buy it ~ take your time as there's SCADS of junkers with good P.S. Pumps in the junkyards .

I hear you cry " ' but what about that nasty old stinky fluid ? ' .

Again very simple : hook it all up , fill with fresh ATF and start the engine , wheels off the ground turn lock to lock a few times then stop and drain it all , disconnect the return hose and stick it into a 5 gallon jug , have your helper start & idle the engine and turn it lock to lock as you pour in a few gallons of fresh ATF , this will flush the system out .

Remember to never run a P.S. pump dry ! .

I hope this helps....

7. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

:eek: That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't making things harder than they were. I may give the salvage yards another shot. I could have bought a new one for what I've paid for the other two.
    Thanks for the info Nate!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  8. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

OK, I got the pump on yesterday and everything seems to be working fine. I ended up buying the pump from Autozone so I'd have a warranty. It came with a bolt that Nate mentioned to install the pulley but it broke when it was about 3/4th of the way installed!:mad: Against my better judgement I ended up baging it the rest of the way on. Luckily, there are no leaks this time!:D

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

!

I hate cheap crap :mad:

SAVE the broken bolt and receipt in the box so if it fails you'll be able to argue
    a refund or warranty .

10. ropo355

ropo355 Member

power steering pulley

Several companies sell a power steering pulley remover/installer, I bought mine from Harbor Freight for $10.00, and have used it many times with no problems. It fits multiple applications. Ron

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE : Muffler Men

I took the Hearse to the muffler guy I use to-day , he did a nice job replacing everything from the catalytic converter on back and we junked the DPO
    1-1/2" tailpipe and replaced the stock 2" middle pipe and shortie DPO muffler
    , all with 2-1/2" mandrel bent pipe and a nice BIG , efficient , low backpressure muffler .

My muffler guy wanted to leave off the balancer on the back of the CAT , I said no , he fussed about it until I said " fine ~ I'll just take it along then and finish the job later on @ home when I'm not crippled anymore " .

he got pissed off as others were there watching but he _did_ install the dead weight to my satisfaction .

Or almost ~ this car is Metric and the 10X1.5 MM bolt has rusty threads so I'll hunt up a new flange head bolt and chase the threads properly next year or whenever I can pick up my tools again .

Hey , I paid $250.00 for all this plus new hangers and the trailer hitch installation so it better be MY WAY ! :rolleyes:

The good thing is : the tailpipe proper is the same as any other GM A Body passenger car .