I figured out how to post pics of my GMC

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bilbo, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Wired up tail/stop/turn signals

OK, I'm a retired Electrician. That being said, here's what I did. Hooked up all the rear lights, tail, stop, turn signals. Had some concerns about all my painting..... Checked lights and not a single one worked. All the front lights worked as they've been wired for a while. Solution: ran a ground wire to each Stainless Steel light assembly mounting bolt, and grounded the other end to a tapped and threaded hole in the frame with a 1/4x20 SS bolt. Problem solved. I just didn't want to go around scraping off paint that I had put on there for a reason... Used SS bolt and threaded into frame to ensure proper grounding contact. I also wanted to let all who come here to read to recognize that All lights have to be grounded to work properly.

2. Zig

Zig Member

Good to know~ I'll be doing the lights on the front end of my truck this weekend. ;)

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Grounding and bonding works every time. Your truck is looking really great thanks for sharing the photos showing the progress.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lighting & Grounds

The Stainless Steel bolts are good but usually all you needs to is : install a start washer , this will cut in and provide a good ground every time .

I also like to spear some conductive grease on the threads before assembly .

In general , the original hardware is the best but it takes time to properly clean and de rust it .

5. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I just didn't go into all the detail... I did in fact use a star washer on each bolt, and installed bolts with Nickel anti-sieze on the threads. I knew You'd know all that stuff, Nate. ;)

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Was :

Just adding it for the newbies , many here have no experience and need to know .

No worries .

7. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Updated info and pictures!

OK, Boys and Girls: Pickup bed done, rear fenders done, seats upholstered, headliner installed, sun visors installed, License plates ordered and paper plate mounted..... :D Going to muffler shop tomorrow for new exhaust system and State Inspection. ;) We'll be street legal by tomorrow afternoon! Lets see if I can post some pictures.

Attached Files:

8. Zig

Zig Member

That is a SWEET looking ride you ended up with!!!! Outstanding work indeed!!!
    Someday mine will be there too...

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Very nice!

10. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Great job!! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Damon

11. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Wow!!

Your truck looks awesome Bill. What's your next project? If you don't have one, I can drop my truck off.( Could use a paint job.)
    Seriously you did a great job. Enjoy. Great weather for cruising the back roads.

Jerry

12. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

We may need to try and get together some time and compare rides. Kens 50, and Bill Hanlon are in the vicinity as well. Good excuse for a road trip. (Right now, road trip means 40 or 50 miles, 'till I gain confidence in Clarabelle). :rolleyes: Bill

13. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Updated pictures

Got a chance to install my 'New' steering wheel, provided by Kens 50, Thank You Very Much. It looks much better, and I'm guessing it will steer easier too. Also built and installed my side mount spare tire rack. Ordered Aultman latches from Russ Petty as well. Will always go for better safety. :)

Attached Files:

14. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Looking good Bill!

Where's the "Like" button! You're gonna be so impressed when you make your first turn with that steering wheel! It'll be like power steering compared to your old one! Glad I could help! Spare tire looks awesome too!

Ken

15. Root2812

Root2812 Member

What size tire are you running for the spare? I need to decide what I am going to do but I don't want one so big that it looks wrong. Yours looks good.

16. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

All the tires are 215x85-16s. I think it looks 'authentic' for the truck. Also functional. The tires are about 31 1/2" in diameter. I got the highest profile I could realistically get in order to help make up for the low gear ratio in the rear end. Still runs about 2600 RPM at 60mph. BTW, I got mine at NTB, and buy 3 get 1 free. Helps with cost. :)

17. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

BTW Root, If you shop for a side mount, the face where the spare mounts needs to be about 11 1/4 inches from the bed side. One I bought at a swap meet is only 9 1/2". Instead of butchering an original spare mount, I built mine from scratch. I'll sell the original to someone with a long bed, as I think that's what it's for. There's more space between the cab and fender on the long bed, and the spare can mount closer to the bed side. Just thought you'd like to know. I really like the idea of the side mount. Glad you're planning on it.

18. ccharr

ccharr Member

Gill,
    You took two trucks and put together a great looking truck that you need to drive. Congrats on a jop very well done.

19. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Very nice, now you just need a trim ring for the spare.

20. Zig

Zig Member

I've thought about this. When I get to that point I think I will look for a spare tire cover like a Chevy van had. It was a chrome ring that went around the tire and latched at the bottom with a fiberglass face that could be painted. That or a vinyl cover that could be painted as well~
    Oh the possibilities~