I finally got my S10 frame swap done

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by speedfreak1976, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

If you had enough money...

those were the kind you got back then. If those are originals, they have chevrons, or arrows in them pointing in the direction of your intended turn. Way cool!

2. speedfreak1976

speedfreak1976 Member

I like the big old turn signals. I think it makes the truck scream "hillbilly country truck". I was trying to keep the old look to the truck. I plan to leave the turn signals on it. I even took them apart and put new sockets in them so they are 12 volt marker lights and turn signals. As always everyone has there opinion of someone else's truck.

3. chipoftheblock

chipoftheblock Member

What backspacing did you use on your wheels? Looks great! I'm planning on doing this swap very soon. Thanks!!

4. Flipper

Flipper Member

Mine are 20x8.5 wheels with 5.5 back spacing. They tuck way under the fenders...but I like it that way. I can turn almost lock to lock without rubbing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks a little funny straight on, but with the bumper on and set down low, you really don't see much of the tires.

[​IMG]

5. coilover

coilover Member

Here is the stock S10 front and rear wheel position with a 2wd rear end; 4wd rear added later. (Also note the turn signals). The first S10 swap we did was before there were after market parts so there is also a pic of a mock-up spacer on the front hub/rotor to get the tire back to it's regular AD position. Note the exotic material used and the skilled machine work. It is 1 1/2" + 3/4"....2 1/4" total so the 2 1/2" spacer is dead on. Are the big truck fenders physically larger than the 1/2 ton? If so, they would be the ticket for one dropped into the weeds because there would be extra tire room.

Attached Files:

6. Zig

Zig Member

Just be glad it's not a GMC!

...unless your into $$$$... ;)

7. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Flipper your truck is kool I like it, pic two is the better one. The flat bed, and mirror kool look.
    Well that seem true about most year of the GMC I think that why it nice to see a few good ones and to luck out now and then with a part truck or parts some place.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  8. tbone006

tbone006 Member

SpeedFreak - your truck is AWESOME man !!!!
    I have my grandfathers 54GMC ..just sitting in my Dads rental garage for over 30yrs hasnt moved an inch!! I drove it for about 1yr when i got my license, parked it and there she sits. Looking at teh S10 Frame Swap ...been looking for a GOOD method to make it a daily Driver capable...no show queen. Anyways i been looking around at teh the 'options" of S10 donors ... and i guess it depends on your Old School body model ...long/short bed that decides which S10 Frame you need. GREAT INFO to know !!!
    Anyways just wanted to let you know what an amazing job you did and it LOOKS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the patina ..im gonna leave mine too!!
    Aloha !!
    ~t-bone~

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Seat question ?

Hey there

Amazing swap you have done with very nice results. I would wanna know if the 91 chevy seat swap gives a better outcome then the original truck seat as i am a long legged guy and should like to have a seat that gives better space between the steering wheel and my body ? The gas tank is mounted inside my truck and that could maybe be an problem with your solution ?

Apreceate some advice Martinius.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

11. Zig

Zig Member

Great line!

i love it!

12. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Awesome Picture.

I love thread resurections. There is a ton of great threads and useful information lost in the "old threads". Kudos to that guy for using the search function. If more people used the search we would have less of the "beating a dead horse" questions.

13. Ole Man

Ole Man Member

dig the truck, I've got a '53 3600 longbed, was wondering if anyone had tried using a '75 frame or would it be easier to go with the s10?

14. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The newer frames have a much wider track width than the AD has, you get the skateboard effect. The tires will stick out of the fenders by a little ways. This is a populr 4x4 conversion frame, where track width doesn't matter, but if you plan any lowering, a s10 or Dakota frame are much better.

15. Ole Man

Ole Man Member

thanks Chebby.... I see alot of references being made to the wider track... "skate board effect" puts it into perspective. As far as S10/dakota, would you recommend one over the other?

16. Ole Man

Ole Man Member

Oh, and which year should I look for on the dakotas?

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while here,

Your 3600 is it a 8 ft or 9 ft. bed?

18. Ole Man

Ole Man Member

thanks, its the 9 footer.

19. ccharr

ccharr Member

Kool, Have not seen one but had heard of em. Start another thread and post some photos.

20. redneck7787

redneck7787 Member

Does anyone have any pics or measurements of how they made there cab mounts for s10 frame swap? Thanks for any info or help.