i6 250 Service

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by vwnate1, Dec 27, 2014.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Blurry vision...

Yes, Nate, you did mention it was a TH350. My eyes just missed it I guess.
    You need to take care of yourself, you only get one body. My wife would say I need to do what I suggest others to do.
    If we lived close, I would bring you another project for after your six-banger rehab.
    100_5032.jpg 100_5033.jpg 100_5034.jpg

If you look real close in the bottom left corner of picture 2, you will see a few loose wires. Do you know where they all go?
    Dang junkyard guys. Need to take the sidecuts away from 'em.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Electrical "Fun"

Yes Steve ;

Of course I know *exactly* where those wires go : to the other side of the engine management harness , of course.... :rolleyes: .

It's funny as I used to get all the electrical problems and re wire jobs .

My Electrical works don't look pretty like the Hot Rodders do but they work and to me that's enough .

I too use a pair of dykes mercilessly when I'm scavenging ~ I take far more wire than I ever need then I use it to make factory looking repairs & sub harnesses .

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! It runs !

YAY ! .

Yesterday SWMBO told me to get out of my recliner and get to work before it got hot , I didn't and began working at Noon right when the temperature zoomed up and I wasn't in the shade .

In any case , I was plugging away and after five long hard hours I pressed the button and it lit right off , I was pouring fuel into the carby because the fuel pump (mechanical) wasn't priming , when it fired it belched out some raw fuel then a 5" FIREBALL that momentarily set the plywood the engine's sitting on , on fire :eek: .

I was panicky for a moment there but it went out in a few moments .

I still have more small items (anti- diesel solenoid , air cleaner bracket and support tube etc.) to add plus I want to fill the water jacket so I can run it long enough to set the timing .

Maybe I'll be able to attach the tranny to - day , we'll see .

I had to take some pain pills last night and only got three or four hours of sleep .

In any case , I am pleased it runs again .

Pictures soon .

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

10 Dayze Later

And some serious Recliner time....... :rolleyes:

I've been tinkering in it and last night added the extended oil and tranny dip sticks and tubes , re installed the anti - diesel solenoid , other little things like that .

I replaced the vacuum & fuel hoses , noticing this : IMG_0869[1].JPG

Looks like a regular old , old fuel filter , right ? .

Rotate it 180? and see why I always insist upon clear fuel filters :

IMG_0870[1].JPG

FULL OF CRUD ! :eek: .

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oops ~

Out of sequence here .

First , I screwed around trying to figure out how to balance the tranny so it'd mate up to the engine easily : IMG_0864[1].JPG
    Whan you do only stick shifts for 40 years , it's simple : a saddle jack under neath it and hoist up until you can slide it in (yes , I know wrestling a 300 # cast iron manual tranny isn't easy) .

This TH350 kept tipping so I got an old seat belt from my favorite scrap yard then tied it 'round the tranny , : IMG_0866[1].JPG this worked pretty well but the weight of the Torque Converter kept tipping it forward so I added a rubber balance strap to the nose of the Engine Hoist : IMG_0865[1].JPG

Looks kinda goofy I know but I have very limited lifting ability any more so I have to " Farm Fix " (improvise) and make do as best I can with whatever I have at hand .

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

More ~

Remember how I'd mentioned I'd ripped the cab floor loose at the toe board pinch weld ? .

This is what I found when I cleaned off all the crud : IMG_0867[1].JPG

The leading edge of the floor began to slowly rub it's way through the tranny's case :

IMG_0868[1].JPG

Lucky for me , it never quite made a hole .

I hope to get it finished this week and deliver it to Paco Thursday or Friday .

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

And ,

My Grand Daughter :

IMG_0863[1].JPG
    My Son was riding her 'round his back yard the last time I visited~ she's turning two years old Thursday and already reads and likes to ride Motocycles .

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Update

O.K. then ;

It's been hot of late but I needed to get this engine done so I worked my narrow behind off : IMG_0875[1].JPG

I know it's not show worthy but it's my Shop Truck so no worries .

IMG_0876[1].JPG

The guys at the Paint Jail seemed impressed . IMG_0877[1].JPG

Notice I added longer oil and ATF dipsticks using original GM parts , that's always the best way , my poor old beat to crap back doesn't like me leaning in over the fender to check fluid levels .

It took me some time to clean off the gooey black crud coating the entire TH350 tranny : IMG_0878[1].JPG

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

At The Shop

Arriving @ the Paint Jail : IMG_0879[1].JPG

Here you can see the power steering filter (magnetic and micronic) I added to the new return hose : IMG_0880[1].JPG

I replaced all the various hoses and V-belt , new gaskets throughout and I used Permatex " The Right Stuff " on both sides of every gasket to help this thing be oil tight .

The shop is a cornucopia of old Chevys : IMG_0882[1].JPG
    All these are show cars that will prolly never see the road again :( .

I don't get that .