Installing a C-Notch

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ricos54, Jan 7, 2014.

1. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Yeah, this forum really needs a "like" button.
    Keep the progress pics coming - very helpful for those of us following behind you.

:)

2. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Thanks bud, I appreciate it.:D
    I put my cab on my home made cart and been doing lots of body filler. I skimmed the back and the top, now I started on the firewall. Once that's done going to skim the dash and where the controls are, I welded up the holes and fab a opening for the vintage air control panel. Hopefully I will be putting it's first coat of finish sand next week. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Well, been slowly working on my cab doing bodywork. I say slow because this process takes a little time. You guy's say you like pictures so here's a few what I have been doing. You already see the bondo work above, so here it is in its first coat of feather fill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I guide coated the entire cab like my firewall
    [​IMG]

Then I block it with 80 grit and for being one my my first time doing bodywork the darn thing came out completely straight. Only a few tiny little area's showed guide coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since my cab came out really good I'm going to go over the cab with feather fill today and guide coat it again and start blocking it with 120 then move up to 180 and if everything is good I will be ready to apply dtm 2k primer and block to get it ready for paint.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Lookin' cherry Rico. It's going to be bitchin.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bosy Work

sweeeet !!! :) .

6. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Thank you guy's really appreciate it. I went over cab again wanting to make absolutely sure it's straight, after all I'm taking your advise and going with the Metallic Grey. I'm looking at a GM color called Cyber Grey Metallic. The cab should have the dtm 2k primer on within a week then starting on the fenders.
    I have black wheels and powder coated steps in black on the running boards, I'm also going with a powder coated black bumper and thinking about powder coating the front grill black to offset it and give it that different but custom look.
    Also thinking about putting a 54 emblem on it in black, need to find out if the 54 emblem will fit a 47-53 hood.

7. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

fuel tank

Hey Rico
    I found a fuel tank like what your putting in your truck but steel
    Do you know what type of sending unit your going to use and will it work with you stock fuel gage thanks
    Robert

8. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Sorry Robert, but I don't know. Before I ordered my tank I called the company about the sending that was coming with the tank then called Dakota Digital with the gauges I was going to order and dakota told me they would work together fine

9. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

thanks

thanks Rico

10. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

No problem Robert, how's the project coming along?:D

Well for several months I've been stressing on my front end because I only raddle can the crossmember and a-arms. So I took the engine/tranny and radiator shroud off the frame and painted the entire frame with industrial paint. I also welded in a tow hitch that will be hidden behind the license plate. Finish painting it Tuesday and dropped the engine/tranny and shroud in this weekend, so back to the cab and getting the rest of the truck with the body work and getting it ready for paint. Hoping to paint it in the next couple of months.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Gotta be proud of that, looks great Ricoh

12. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Well done Ricoh, you?ve made a lot of progress.

I ?m really looking forward to your painted cab and you this grey color looks
    on your truck.
    With the black coated accessories, you?ll be getting your desired mean look,
    that?s for sure;)

13. Zig

Zig Member

Looking great! I'm curious about the hitch idea however. What are you planning to tow, and how much weight do you think that will hold?
    IIRC, isn't there a gas tank that goes on the other side of that bar?
    I'm just wondering, because I do want to be able to tow a tear drop style trailer (or canned ham style) behind my truck, and I am always happy to see how the tow issue is being addressed here.
    Thanks for the photo update!

14. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Hey Zig, my idea with the tow hitch will be to tow a small travel trailer 14' to 16' up to 3000lbs. I will have one of those load lever to distribute the weight and there's room behind the hitch so the gas tank will fit no problem.

15. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Hi guy's haven't been on here for awhile. My kitty cat that had leukemia died dec,28th and haven't felt like doing much. Been trying though to get stuff done. My cat was like a son to me and losing my mother to lukemia in 89. I did my best to pay extra attention to my cat. He was a great cat and I still can't believe he's gone. Anyways this is what I have done so far. Bodywork seems like it takes forever to get it done right.
    First I use kitty hair around the light ring so no moisture will get in and rust, then I skimmed the entire fender. Then block, then primer, the nguide coat, then block, then add body filler where needed, then prime, then guide coat, then block, over and over until it's done which takes about 5 or 6 different times. It seems you always fine something else and this is why you always guide coat. Guide coat helps find things you could not find with your eye or hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A idea what it will look like with the headlight in, I welded rings on which is old school but I like this look.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  16. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finish product
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

I also had my door hinges rebuilt, installed electric windows and drilled the holes in the post of the cab. Then sanded my doors down to metal and having them sand blasted so I can skim those.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also been working on my roll pan, finished that today, install LED lights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

[​IMG]

Getting ready to start on my brand new rear fenders, got them from a guy for really cheap. They have a few dings in them but could not pass it up since it's going to save me a lot of time. I also sanded my hood down to bare metal

[​IMG]
    No pic of my hood down to metal. I want to weld my hood into one piece but not sure how much I have to weld. Do I have to weld underneath, bottom side? Do I weld the slots where the strip was or do I just stitch weld the middle in 1/2" increments..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  19. Zig

Zig Member

That looks absolutely awesome!!! Fantastic attention to detail!
    Like you, and everyone else, I can't wait to see the finished product!

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lots Of Good Works Here !

I'm sorry for your loss ~ I get about 17 ~ 18 years out of each Dog and they're like Children to me , I hate losing them to old age .

Your work looks really nice and yes , doing things correctly takes lots of time .

When you are done , you'll be ever so pleased you took the time to do things right .