Is there a source for a bench seat for 1947-54?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssexton1, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Can you purchase a bench seat--or is that another one to watch on CraigsList or eBay?

2. 51oleblue

51oleblue Member

3. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Thank you sooooo much. The people on this forum are very helpful and knowledgeable!

4. aggiejon

aggiejon Member

do you want a complete bench seat, or would the seat and back springs work? I have a complete seat, sans covering that I would give you for the cost of shipping it. I will even have a spare seat frame a little piece down the road.

5. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

I might, but I don't know for sure. I will keep your info for future.

Thank you, I'm still looking for a truck, but the ones I have seen have bucket seats :(

6. Wolf

Wolf Member

Call Jim Carters. They are in Independence MO. I got a "new" used door from them. They have tons of parts.
    http://www.oldchevytrucks.biz/47_55/t1.asp

7. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Floor and seat riser

Something you might want to keep in mind if you want an original bench seat...

If the truck you look at has buckets, check out what has been done to the floor. There may be a fair amount of work needed to put the bench back.

8. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Thank you for the tip.

9. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Thanks for the intro!

I was putting together some pics for illustration purposes. 1952 Bowtie is absolutely right. If someone has installed bucket seats, chances are he has modified the box that holds the seat assembly (Pic 1). The box, or riser, determines the height of the seat. There are seat adjusters bolted on each end that allow the seat assy to be moved up or back. The "roll cage", as I like to call it, bolts to the adjusters (Pic 2). The original set up also has decorative skirts on each end to dress up the setup (Pic 3). (Pic 4) shows the entire assy ready to accept the seat back and seat. Finally, (Pic 5) shows the seat in position.

DSC00207.jpg

1950 chev pu 009.jpg

1950 chev pu 021.jpg

1950 chev pu 027.jpg

50%20chevy%20pu%20237.jpg

Hope this helps!

Ken

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

11. tx2cute4u

tx2cute4u Member

1951 chevy 5 window.

Hello I am new to this thread and I just purchased my dream truck this evening.... Happy birthday and Happy Retirement to me! But Now I get to start the internet searches for parts. I know this thread is pretty old but does anybody know other than the slim chance I might find one on craigslist or ebay but I am looking for the bench seat that goes in this truck I refuse to put modern day looking seats in it! I am willing to pay shipping and I am located in Texas if anybody can help.... I would also consider other parts if anybody has extras laying around that might have came off of a donor truck as long as they are in decent shape..... Thanks for any help you might be able to give me....
    :)

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If I can ever find the replacement seat I am looking for (200x Astro Van 2nd seat in leather with fold down cup holders in the middle) I'll let my "real good shape" '52 GMC seat go for small money. Mine is somewhere between red and maroon.

Where in Tx are you?

13. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i have a bench seat out of a 88-98 chevy truck in mine. so i have the old one sittin round. you can find them on craigslist. lots of people throw them in the weeds

14. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

seat

do you have any pics of your seat?

15. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

Attached Files:

16. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

17. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i did mine a bit different from chubby. i drilled the holes 2inchs away but didnt use that piece of flat steel stock. i also added a 1inch of tube steel under the seat mount to the floor to tilt the seat back a hair and make it more comfortable

18. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

New bench solution

My question is if there is better space with the new bench compared to the standard truck seat in between steering wheel and driver? It says that there is anough space to have the gas tank installed behind the new seat solution.
    I would wanna know the difference !

Thanks Martinius.

19. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i can say this, the gas tank fits behind the seat and there is plenty of room between the steerin wheel and the driver. i eve have room to slide the seat closer to the wheel. the seat is about 2inchs away from the door when it closed as well. im 5'11 and fit well and in it.

ALTHOUGH!!!! if you do this, like it says in chubbs thread, you need the bench seat WITH OUT the little indends in the seat cusions for your butt and back. most newer 90s truck have them.

20. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

90 chevy Seat bench

Thanks Skeeterbilt fore the reply. I have a slim posture but with the gastank behind my original bench there is to litle space . Handling the steeringwheel in the actual solution makes driving kinda difficult on longer trips.
    Is the 90 tees bench seat you installed from a Chevy truck or car ?

Thanks Martinius.