Just for giggles

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mobileortho, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

Robert,
    Your Truck really looks great, thanks for sharing all the photos . The engine is also an award winner. Thanks.

Charles

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Topic Drift.......

Yes , my little Metro FHC is a very cool car , I run the living snot out of it :p .

The left rear wheel has been humming for about three years now so I finally took it apart last night ~ :eek: .

This car has floating rear axles and the LR bearing was disintegrating ! the cage rivets had popped and pieces of broken sheet metal and SWARF were everywhere .

I drained the whole rear axle and will now have to disassemble the entire banjo and hand clean it , rebuild the drive hubs with new old stock Japanese made Fafnir 207PP bearings then hopefully the pumpkin's bearings will be O.K. , if not i have a spare one and will pop it in and rebuilt the current one ~ 3.72 pumpkins for these cars are harder to find than hen's teeth , good thing I have one spare stashed away as well as another incoming soon .

I took pictures of the loaded up magnetic drain plug and the tub but sadly , I wiped off most of the slivery/gray crud before remembering to grab my camera .

I have a few spare hubs I spent hours cleaning and wire brushing , they look like new so I'm well pleased .

I know this is an old truck site but you alls often ask me what I'm working on at any given moment .

My poor old beat to crap C/10 soldiers right along ~ if I were driving a Brand 'F' , I'd be driving my shoes about now :rolleyes: .

Why CHEVROLET is and always will be the MOST POPULAR LIGHT TRUCK IN AMERICA :p .

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

pictures, man, pictures.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Pictures

Of what Russ ? .

I stupidly didn't have my camera handy when I removed the drum , it was a perfect example of why I love Permatex ' The Right Stuff ' so much - the brakes were 100 % dry and oil free ! anyone who works on old British cars knows how rare this is ~ I had a ruined floating rear axle hub bearing yet not ONE DROP of gear oil leaked out .

When I removed the axle shaft , the bearing's face was packed with silvery gray crud that was full of shiny bits of gound up bearing ball cage ~ a textbook picture if ever one existed but my hands were dirty and I was excited/pleased to have found the source of my problem so I ripped into it instead of stopping and cleaning my hands & hunting up the camera :eek: .

I have the camera in my shirt pocket now and my big brother is coming over , I hope he'll take some pix of what I'm doing as The Met Club is always after me to write DIY How-To articles .

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I wanna see some good pictures of the Metro....

6. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Me too!!!!

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Small picture of Nate's Metro

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  8. Zig

Zig Member

I don't think the passenger side tire is really trying~

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speedy Met

LOL ! no , the inner front tire usually lifts off the ground when I'm cornering hard ~ that was the World Famous Mulholland Drive Loop , I was going just shy of 65 MPH as there was a dufus in a freshly restored MGB 100 Roadster in front of me who was afraid to let it out or something else I'd been really moving .

It has the original 1500 C.C. 'B' series BMC engine with a modified MGA 1622 cylinder head on it , coupled to a Borg Warner M-35 Slushbox from a 1979 Datsun B210 , an a 3.72 final drive pumpkin from a 1979 MG Midget , the only year that ratio was fitted to North American MG's making it hard to find .

I was able to stuff some Michelin 165SR13" Defender radials under the rear , the front is so close I have 145's under there else they'll rub ~ a bad thing indeed .

The Sports Car guys I run with , all love this car as it keeps up very well .

Sadly I keep breaking wheels in it though and nearly flew off a mountain last summer..... :mad: .

More if you wish , this is another's thread so I feel guilty about usurping it .

I spent all day yesterday overhauling the rear floating hubs, one blew a bearing .

Attached Files:

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Continued topic drift...

Nate, maybe you have done this already, but I'd like to see a complete list of all the STRANGE AND COOL vehicles you've had over the years! Of course with pictures.

11. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Love it!!!

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Those Old Vehicles

Jeezo-Peezo that'd be quite a long list ! .

Sadly , I have very few pictures of the ones I had .

I fondly recall my two owner 1954 Pontiac Super Chief Coupe , it had factory two - tome paint , yellow ocher and white , skirts , visor and color matching Dealer installed leather upholstery ~ fully optioned with a Dual Hydromatic slushbox tranny , InLine FlatHead 8 cylinder engine and...OOPS ! SWMBO says go time , more later .