Lakeroadsters' Build Thread: '65 SWB Step

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, Mar 3, 2011.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Puh-LEEZE !

Nate is a 12 year old internet troll who's on his mommy's computer in the basement .

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

You might be able to use the headboard from a fleetside and just cut it down, not sure if there is any differance between the two, and how bout cutting down the tailgate from a fleetside to work, that would really mess with peoples heads....!

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Rich, Pretty much the only similarity between Fleetside and Stepside front panels and tail gates is they were made by Chevrolet....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Another Shop Truck Concept Sketch

Here's a concept sketch of lettering for my truck. McGraw's Chevrolet was the local Chevy dealer where my dad bought his '67 Impala SS. the lettering would be "distressed", looks too crisp below.

[​IMG]

What do ya think, Yeah or Nay?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Truck Sign

I like it although I'd use a ' fatter ' font , more in keeping with old style lettering .
    Off and on I consider having the local guys hand letter or maybe graphic my oldies , I do have the shop name and I have a couple ideas for small fun graphics .

NO decals for me .

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Inner Peace

When it comes to "material stuff" it doesn't get any better than this in my little world. If I had inner peace.... I'd consider swapping it for one of these.

Big block / 4-speed please, with or without that coveted little strip of fiberglass in the back window ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I like it alot. Gonna hafta fade out the letters some, but, very cool. Check in to the old way of writing phone numbers with 2 letters or words.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I don't think they were still doing the "BR-549" phone no. thing in the mid '60's... well at least not in Troy, Ohio... but I could be wrong?

I do recall that they weren't using area codes... unless you were dialing long distance. I also remember being on a party line: pick up the phone to make a call and your neighbors were already on the line....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Photo !

But no , I would not trade my truck for any year / model 'Vette .

Party lines were fun right until Granny caught me listening in to the gabby neighborhood Ladies :rolleyes: .

When I were a laddie in Rural New England , you only needed to dial the last four numbers as long as you were calling in town .

My 'phone # begins with SYcamore-1 :D .

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

We were still doing it that way here in Indiana until about 1972. I still say it that way occasionally just to freak-out my kids.
    I think you need to go ahead with the lettering, then buy or build a trailer so you can haul around that 1969 427 Camaro that you also need.
    Seriously, I think an old vintage Airstream single axle camper would be VERY cool hooked up to your truck.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  11. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Kinda like this...
    Desert Autoplex.jpg

Lakeroadster likes this.
  12. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Interesting dialogue in regards to the old phone numbers. I really like the SYcamore-1

Funny you say that... I've got this old warhorse in the garage... but it ain't no trailer queen:

[​IMG]

I can't take much credit for my '69 SS. I found it locally and all I have done is install new rear leaf springs, the traction bars, a set of Tri-Y Thorley headers, Purple Hornie header mufflers, a NOS Realistic FM Converter, a colum mounted tachometer and of course the American Racing Torque Thrust TTO wheels, a repro chin spoiler and the big and little BFG's. Being a child of the 60s and 70's it is a time machine that returns me to my youth each time I drive it.​

I have a design for a portable sheet metal louver press that I had considered building and putting in the back of the truck... Have Louver Press, Will Travel. Figured I'd be a big hit at the local car shows ;-)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

VERY COOL, with original 1970s stance, Camaro! Traction bars and all.
    John, you appear to have a very good life.
    A louver press would make you popular, might even give you some good retirement income. I don't even know where I'd go to get louvers pressed here.
    A cousin of mine is PAYING to have others rebuild a 1968 SS-RS 396 Camaro. He is NOT a auto-enthusiast, just wants to "flip it" for profit. He said he didn't even care if he drove it, just wants the money.
    I'm a free-market capitalist, but, that just makes me sick.
    P.S. our phone numbers started with OLiver 3. I wonder who got to pick the words to go with the number.

14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

OLiver-3 and SYcamore-1 nice.

Sounds like a cool project, but with the $ per hour of a good body shop, a good mechanic and the $ of good repro parts all I can say is that he is going to lose his A$$ on the flip......​

Here's the Louver Press I designed...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  15. LostMy65

LostMy65 Member

I like it.
    For me, a faux-tina truck needs some kind of door art. It's my plan to get my company name and info on my door some time.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  16. olddaze

olddaze Member

This is my favorite build thread. Fine job with the details. Working on bringing back a '59 Chevy step-side myself.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  17. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Welcome and thanks for the kind words. Have you started a thread for your '59? '55 thru '59 are my favorite body style.

I've still been toying with side trim & door art concepts using Microsoft Paint and AutoCAD, here is my latest one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

HA, HA, ACME, thats funny...BEE BEEP.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Custom Side Trim

Mocked up actual side trim.. I like it.... time to start drilling holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 09-22-2014: Photoshopped the trim to be slanted at the rear to match the rear fender angle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  20. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I like the trim, also, I think the slant at the rear looks real good. I'm curious, were did the trim parts come from? I really like the distressed door art idea. I'm bettin' you don't miss the time-clock. Nice you have COOL things to keep you busy.

Lakeroadster likes this.