Manifold

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, May 8, 2010.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

I was givin a manifold casting #3835388 will this work on my 235 it looks the same I thought i might try making a split exhaust manifold out of it if it will fit. Thanks for any input.

2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Seen alot of ruined original exhaust manifolds with the botched "split" attempt.
    Welding on cast iron rarely works out { for any lenght of time }.
    You need to do it right the first time & score a set of NEW Fenton headers:D
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=11899

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Exhaust Manifold

Yes , the 216 and 235/261 exhaust manifolds are all interchangable , you must ensure the angle of the outlet matches your need though as there's a couple different .

True split headers make a tremendous racket and hinder off idle performance , they're made for _racing_ not for street use .

Same deal with Fentons . they're cute crap if you really like to drive fast . the re-pops tend to leak where they meet the cylinder head too .

Looking in some older posts will reveal the contact info of a feller in TEXAS who will modify your original cast iron exhaust manifold to have two outlets like the '54 Corvette's 235 did , this will provide increased power and a nice sound , no leaks and no fittment hassles either .

4. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The bolt pattern where the intake meets the exhaust manifold is different on the 216 intakes.....
    You won't get a 235/261 exhaust manifold to bolt up to a 216 intake & visa versa.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  5. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Just curious as to where you bought these headers from & how long ago.

Did you actually buy a pair, install them & have leaks ?
    or is this just something you decided to make up ?

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

I've been taking these wrong matched parts apart for 50 years so I guess you're wrong again .

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I don't make stuff up ~I work on the junk others have given up on .

Re-pop Fentons are not well made .

yes , I know how to properly modify the special bell washers they don't (but should) include in the kit so they'll seal better but since they actually slow down the engine until it's over 3,000 RPM's or so , I don't like them .

I don't know anyone who still races Babbit Pounders else I'd think them useful .

Separating the exhaust flow screws it up . basic physics there , it's why folks invented crossovers , to boost mid range RPM power when using split headers or on V configured engines .

8. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Well Nate we all know that you think you are the center of all knowledge when it comes to old trucks but.... sometimes you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

We have sold over 100 pairs of the new Fentons in the last year & have not had one complaint..... as a matter of fact.... we have been told {even by all our return customers} that the new Fentons are better than the originals.

We will leave it up to you to decide if you want to believe the guys who have actually bought them & installed them or.....
    Believe someone who never bought or intstalled them & just makes up things about them.
    Here is the link.....
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450773&highlight=fenton+headers

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  9. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Intake to exhaust manifold stud spacing on the 216 is 2 1/8"

Intake to exhaust manifold stud spacing on the 235 is 2 1/2"

[​IMG]

Please explain how you have been mixing & matching these for "50 years" now ?:rolleyes:

10. dado

dado Member

Spit the farthest

My vote goes to Nate but remember I use 5 different brands of oil on a single oil change that makes me a bad person my engine may explode at any moment !

11. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Boys boys boys, I think you;re both wrong , How bout a tunnel ram and stainless fender well headers made by Big Tim. tims pics 026.jpg Could this be the last word? :D I know, I'm a real ass hole.....Big Tim:cool:

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A _VERY_ good question !

And I'm stumped for an answer :p

I've matched up the P/N's and they said 216 , I took them off old original beaters back in the day so now I'm even more confuddled than usual and may just have learned a new thing .

Obviously , as I often try to tell you guys , I know very little but I'm usually confident of that precious small bit .

Oops :rolleyes:

:eek:

No if's ands or buts , I've worked on scads of 235 equipped vehicles that still had the 216 manifolds and carbys etc. ~ they don't seal well , is why I always change the intake but I re-use the exhaust unless it's damaged or broken .

Shoot , I've been doing it wrong for a long time now , I won't any more , depend on that .

I don't mind learning new things , you're right I'm a hard headed old fool :D

;)

Sorry .

I bet the troops are well entertained now ! .