My 1956 Chevy 3200 build, finally making the leap to get started

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Tim Stines, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

So as some of you have read I purchased my 56 last year I've been driving it up until about 2 months ago I went by yesterday to my dads which is where I keep it stored due to the lack of parking at my apartment, i through some gas in and started right up like a champ, i looked it over to see what really needed done mostly just the doors and the steps need either work or replaced if anything the drivers side door but going to do my best to salvage it since its stock to the truck but first going to do some fender swapping on the rear the passenger side has a big crease in it that cant be pulled out luckily the truck came with a nice set as far as the interior i need to gut it so i can paint it, luckily the floor boards have already been replaced so that's no issue not sure where I'll start but hoping to do some work today i will post pictures as i go and will get some before photos for you

2. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

I'm also pretty new to this as well so I'm sure I'll need some pointers along the way I'm 21 almost 22 so I'm not the best at all of this but I'm going to do the best that I can do because this truck will be dedicated in memory of my uncle and grandma I've had some experience the first truck I owned we did a restore and it didn't come out half bad but I want to exceed my expectations on this truck

3. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

What I have to work with

here is the before photos i will update as i do work on it but is a weekend project the truck does run and drive and is plated

Attached Files:

4. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

This isnt much but its a start

Didnt get started as early as i would have liked but this is all i got done today but atleast its a start

Attached Files:

5. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

im only doing a light wet sanding over the surfaces that are in good shape the spots im finding like small chips i take a little farther so i can fill in any major sections i will cut out and replace like the drivers door im going to have to hunt one down due to the rust and the bed steps everything else is in great shape i purchased from a guy who has already started the project but fell ill so most of the hard work is done just gotta do the body floors are new door hinges are new wheels and tires new shocks are new rear dif is new brakes and cables all new under the hood 400 small block rebuilt 7,000 miles ago, 3 speed auto trans rebuilt 7,000 miles ago as well he gave me a book on everything done with all the papers

6. olddaze

olddaze Member

Nice! Looks like the previous owner got ya a real good head start.

7. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

yeah they did I mean there's still alot of work but its a pretty solid truck they did alot at least the mechanical stuff is taken care of I hooked the am radio up yesterday and it was picking up something but was very faint

8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Very nice! I'm glad to see a young guy doing this kind of work. Don't let anything get you down, doing and learning is the fun of it. I bought my truck when I was 15, now I'm almost 55. Going thru it again for the third time.
    Your not too far from me, I'm up kinda near Greencastle.

9. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

I love doing this sort of thing me and my dad are also restoring his 57 bel air, I've been through Greencastle several times was at dog n suds a month ago

10. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

So yesterday I sanded some more on the front drivers side fender removed the front bumper and the tie down hooks on the sides of the bed I'm going to attempt to get the grill assembly out once I figure out how plan on putting a chrome grill in when its all said and done along with chrome bumpers

11. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

Didn't do to much yesterday changed all the fluids and did a tune up on the engine notices that my thermostat gasket is leaking so I went and got a new gasket and fixed that problem I ordered my tailgate cap should be here in a week, debating on putting a rear bumper on or if I should install the roll pan option not sure which would look best with the capped tailgate I'm only doing that because I'm having a mural painted on it for my uncle and grandma, also was able to locate some doors so I'm going to look at them today trying to keep the truck in one piece or mostly one piece so I can do one more trunk or treat before I completely strip it down to where I want