my 52 project

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 1952, Dec 15, 2013.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Light Switch

Why not just use the old knob ? .

2. 1952

1952 Member

old knob

I thought about that to try and keep the original look but the new switch wont accept the old stem as the shapes are different

3. 1952

1952 Member

moving along

Well I am moving forward
    1- fused relay in place and wired in
    2- shows the interior of relays
    3-drilled and mounted 1955 park/turn signal lights I had welded in holes in the fender because previous owner had put in some monster ugly lights and I did not have the originals so I thought I would put in these in photo 4 led amber lights but they were so dim I opted to put in these 55 lights instead.
    If anyone is considering the led save your money (my opinion)
    Also put in headlight buckets and light that also have turn indicators in the lower part

Attached Files:

4. 1952

1952 Member

part 2

more photos
    1-what a PITA who knew the glove box liner would give so much grief
    2-glove box door and radio speaker plate on
    3-put the smoked glass in the vent windows as well

Attached Files:

5. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Looks great, keep those updates coming!

Damon

6. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Good progress. I opted for the '55 park/turn signals too. They look good! I like the "General Motors Truck" on the dash :D

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress !

Those bee hive park lamps look pretty good .

Remember : you can use # 1157A bulbs in there to make them light up yellow....

I like fiddling the details .

8. 1952

1952 Member

thanks I will make note of that

9. 1952

1952 Member

hey Bilbo its nice to see another gmc

10. 1952

1952 Member

Well got a bit done today
    1-the alternator idiot light installed with the 85ohm 5 watt resistor soldered in parallel in case the light bulb burns out there will still be a load on the alternator circuit
    2-received the 5 spade wiper/washer switch and the control knob did not work for me so...
    3-fabricated the original vacuum control knob onto the front of the electric switch I like the look much better I will install it in the vacant hole above the ignition key as I welded up the original hole

Attached Files:

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

But , But ~

Where will you place the choke and throttle cables ?! :rolleyes: .

Looking very nice there , especially the wiper knob on the new switch .

Not sure why you used a resistor in the charge circuit , it's unnecessary .

The resistor doesn't ' load ' anything , it just energizes the field coild to start it charging , then the internal regulator does the rest .

If the idiot light burns out , it'll require higher than idle RPM speed before it begins charging , that's all .

12. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I like what you did with the original knob on the new switch... kinda camouflages it like the anti-theft trick Nate posted a while back.

I will probably do this with my truck, too... but I'm wondering: Would there be enough clearance to put the switch behind the dash with only the old knob on the outer face of the dash to keep a slightly more 'stock' appearance? What do you think?

Damon

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wiper Switch

Yes , you can do this , others have before . the clearance might be an issue between the modern switch and the wiper transmission linkages , give that a check first thing .

14. pmoron

pmoron Member

Wow...

Man that's a gorgeous looking truck! It'll look a lot nicer than my 52, when it's all done.

15. 1952

1952 Member

thanks pmoron
    It has been a 4 year project. but the first year was spent going to put everything back to original but I realized living far in the boonies that if I wanted to leave my town it was going to be a slow long trip to anywhere lol.
    I then wanted to upgrade the braking then handling then mph then etc you know how it goes.

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

There is PLENTY of room under the dash for the switch. I have done several of these.

17. 1952

1952 Member

Where will you place the choke and throttle cables ?! .( Nate this is for you:))
    How about I take the broken choke stem, cut it off, drill it out, tap it and use it as the back up light control knob. At least it looks a bit stock. I know the choke button is in the wrong location but I did not want to wreck the throttle cable.

Attached Files:

18. 1952

1952 Member

another knob

in keeping with using old knobs
    I cut the original emergency brake release rod about 3 inches from the front and threaded the cut end .25 fine to attach to the link from the lokar foot emergency brake unit. installed and put the old knob on . It looks better in real than the photo.
    Got the under hood wiring done and buttoned up, don't really care for how it turned out as there is a big cluster neat the relay box.
    On another note, I ran the casting numbers on the engine I have in my barn and it is a 1958 235 cu inch truck engine with a 1958 6848 head SO... what I am thinking is it would fit in my yet to be started project 1954 gmc ??

Attached Files:

19. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

You can put a Chevy engine in the GMC Chassis with little problem. The GMC front cross member curves forward about 2", so to use a shorter Chevy engine, you cut a 1/2" plate that bolts to the engine front, (where the mount is) and sits on the front cross member. My GMC was that way when I got it. You Don't have to change the cross member, as a few may try to convince you. Bill B.

Attached Files:

20. 1952

1952 Member

excellent idea
    I will definitly remember this tip