my 52 project

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 1952, Dec 15, 2013.

1. 1952

1952 Member

thanks Peabo

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Jeff,
    Sweet, Thanks!

3. 1952

1952 Member

well what fun eh

omg Man, did I have electrical gremlins lol.
    I finally got my headlight switch and wired up everything. first off only got one click on the signal flasher unit and no signal lights ok I says I must have a bad flasher and exchanged the two with each other in the fuse block to test. Made no difference so maybe I have something going to ground shorting out the signal, so I checked wires connections etc mmmm nothing. turns out both flashers were grounded out internally on the metal sides, Not one bad flasher but BOTH. no problem changes with 2 new ones and move on, now I have flashers working yay. brake lights work , but park lights in the headlight on position I lost rear lights mmm maybe headlight switch, go to remove it from behind dash and it falls apart LOL off to the parts store and get a 12 volt generic Steel switch install it and wow gremlin gone. now high and low beam foot switch not giving me high beam wth??? so I reach down and push hard with palm of my hand and it breaks into 3 pieces so again off to parts store and get another steel not aluminium switch and install. Bring my wife to shop and we go though all turns brake park headlight positions and all works perfect. Now this morning Feeling good I go to the shop and decide to waste a few minutes and try all the lights again and #$%%^&*&^% . On left turn the left and right rear both flash with the front left, then on right turn the right rear flashes and both front flash lol pull my hair out right about now. So it turns out after putting the tester on the column plug that the column signal indicator was messing up. So I started to dismantle the switch changed my mind and reassembled to try one last time and I don't know what I jiggled back in place but it works perfect again

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of electrical troubleshooting. Sometimes it is just a contact that hasn't been used in a while, other times not enough swearing applied. You learn to just jiggle that bundle of wires over there when something doesn't work, at least until it pisses you off enough to make you take the time to fix it right.

I finally got tired of my lighter not working when I couldn't charge my phone way out in the country. I came home and ripped out the wires, installed new harness.....lighter still didn't work. Turns out that the lighter socket was bad......

5. Zig

Zig Member

Wow!!! Beautiful GMC!!!

6. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Very Nice Truck! I can see a lot of attention to detail. That stuff pays off!