need help on brkts

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by 654x4, Nov 29, 2009.

1. 654x4

654x4 Member

putting together a 1967 or 1968 327. i need help on the a/c, p/s, and alternator brkts. the heads have no holes on front. i have all the brkts just dont know how they all mtg. any help with pictures or diagrams would be great. i know the a/c mts on right side of mtr, a/c, and p/s mtg on the left (drivers side)

2. coilover

coilover Member

There are three cast brackets for the a-c compressor: one about 4" long that fits on two center intake bolts and has a threaded ear for a strap to the back of the compressor, another about 8" long that bolts onto the exhaust manifold bolts on the right side and has holes for the compressor mounting holes, and finally a large bracket that fits onto the right side w/p bolts and also the front bolt on the compressor. The alternator braket fits the front exhaust manifold holes on the left side. The p/s bracket fits the tapped holes on the lower left front of the block and has an ear run back to the left motor mount to block bolt. I put a couple shots of this but with the accessories mounted you can't see the brackets. The best bet is to go to a car show and look at an original car up through 68 or truck up through 72; they used the short water pump and the no head mount brackets.

Attached Files:

3. bowtiesr4me

bowtiesr4me Member

Ditto on what Evan said!
    Take your camera the next time your at a show or cruz-n-and take pics of brkts on sbc w/hump heads and then head to the junk yard or e-bay.
    Thats what I did and i'm still looking for my p/s and a/c brkts. Got the alt figured out. I am also running shorty block hugger headers, that makes it more fun. No bolt holes there either...........
    Good Luck!

Mike

4. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2010
  5. bowtiesr4me

bowtiesr4me Member

lilred66, Those pics worked great!
    The only problem i have is with the ram horn's.
    I am using hugger headers and the Alt. does not want to mount to the swp. any suggestions? I have it mounted to the intake (alum aftermkt 4 bar.) but afraid of breaking it with a extended bolt and sleeve to match up the pullys.

Thanx,
    Mike

6. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Mike:

There are so many variables to consider when mixing & matching pulleys, water pumps, brackets, exhaust manifolds & alternators, so it is virtually impossible to give you an easy answer, although there are a variety of options. Check out Jegs or Summit for the many options, when it comes to mounting brackets & pulleys. Unless you are going factory-correct, which you are not, there is no right or wrong solution, to your application. As long as you have good alignment, proper tensioning & belt travel, you should be good, to do whatever is necessary to get the assembly rotating.