New Front Leaf Springs & Caster Shims

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by destryrideagain, Aug 5, 2011.

1. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Howdy guys, been awhile. I took my old front leaf springs off and found 2 caster shims under each leaf spring and Im not sure if they were put on from the factory, it does look like old factory stampings on them. One of them was broken in half and the others still in okay shape. My question is since I am putting new leaf spring sets on will the shims still be necessary. I will get an alignment after Im all done. What can you tell me about caster shims? After reading the old '50 manual it mentions some models have them and some may not from factory? Thanks guys!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. coilover

coilover Member

If the truck steers true without the caster shims then it will turn easier. The shims will make one drive more true but with increased steering effort.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't know about AD 1/2 tons, but GMC 55-59 1/2 tons had one on each side standard.

4. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Hi Bill saw your post on stovebolt too, I posted here and on stovebolt forums just to get some different opinions which I value from everybody. From some research and what you all have posted thus far, shims are important, but hopefully my local frame shop can work something with their alignment. I can not find caster shims on any chevy parts site. The caster shims I pulled did have 2 deg. stamped on them, so Ill try to keep you all updated, hope someone else can use this info as well. My truck is a 3/4 ton.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Caster Shims

You need them ! .

DO NOT let any Alignment Shop bend your axle to create caster .

Shims are out there , ask Joe , he sells everything .

6. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I agree with Nate,you do need them.Not only do they effect caster and camber they effect ackerman.My 57 had 2 shims on each side and each shim equalled 2 degrees. I did add 3 degrees more to each side for better driver feel. Info i had read said shimming is recommended from 2 to 9 degrees and i had found 9 was way to much and 7 degrees was just right. Don't forget to reset your toe when you make shim changes 1/8 to 3/16 in on bias ply 1/16 or less on radials.
    Good luck
    Bobby