new to old chevy's

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmunoz11018, Apr 1, 2013.

1. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Thanks Nate, There is a certain thrill to finding out history of your trucks past, like a detective putting a puzzle together. I was able to match the title number to serial number stamped on the block to left side of distributor . I believe this is a 52 and not a 53 as title describes yr of truck. the engine serial number starts with three letters followed by numbers beginning with 52 then four more digits. I read that the 53 models where the only year stamped with 53 on VIN number plates (even though production started in 52) and they started with first letter followed by the model year number.
    sure wish I could locate original VIN number for correct model year, however it does not matter much as the truck looks like a 53 or a 52 or a 51.....lol
    do you know how to tell the difference between a 217 and a 235? are there any easy give aways just by looking at the motor externally?

Thanks again for your valuable info, it appears to me that youve had plenty of exposure to this model years.

Carlos.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The 2 bolts in the valve cover are a pretty shure bet it is a 216.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Babbit Pounders

You have a 216 in there as the # matches the title ~ there were some Babbit Pounder 235's made but not in 3100 series trucks .

The Rockerbox Acorn Nuts isn't always a reliable indicator as there's some older boobs (ahem) who changed the earlier typ rockerbox onto the 235 engines just because they look nicer :rolleyes: .

The tall side cover with holes around the spark plugs is a dead giveaway to it being the pre 1954 series engine ~ the serial # can be decoded to ascertain if it's a 216 or early 235 but , you know now whatcha got .

It's a sturdy engine that'll last nearly forever *IF* you remember some basics and never , EVER variate from them :

It likes clean thin oils regularly changed ~ I'm talking about 5W or 10W - anything , no 40W straight oils ! Diesel rated too if you can find it .

The other thing is : this is a 1930's Tech , long stroke engine with NO PRESSURE LUBE TO THE CONNECTING ROD JOURNALS so , even though it'll easily go 65 + MPH @ 1/2 throttle , doing so will kill it prettydamnquick ~ never exceed 3,200 RPM's unless you're going tp up shift right away .

Don't lug it either , just don't spin the bejeebers out of it like some HondaZuki Import thing and you'll be fine and grow to love that old InLiner as your buddies are once again filling the tank or repairing another mechanical problem you'll be driving , and driving , and driving and.....

Slower yes but , it's supposed to be FUN not a constant drain on your wallet .

About now you're prolly sorry you asked me a Tech question , right ? :p .

4. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Thanks Chebby--- love your restoration process and thanks for sharing pics!

Nate-
    Not really, I enjoy learning something new every day. Thanks for the technical tips. Im a cruiser by nature (wife calls it "old fart") so this style of driving will fit me well as I ride my harley pretty much the same way (baby it)! Only reason I asked about the 235 is that Im reading a lot of articles where some owners have (upgraded) or replaced the 216 and was not sure for what reason.....I'd rather keep her original as I plan to restore it the same way.

Thanks again,

Carlos.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

More Tomorrow

if you but ask ! .

:p

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

' Old Farts '

FWIW ;

I revel in being one ~ it's not as bad as many think .

yes , the broken bones and so forth are bad but , I still get around more than most and I always have fun doing it .

Many decades ago , I liked , honored and respected those old Farmers who always drove battered pickup trucks , now I know why .

You'll do fine , just have fun with it ~

NO question is ' stupid ' nor too mundane , the good folks here collectively know everything about your old truck and Joe has the parts .

7. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Thanks Nate,

I Already feel like family with everyone's welcome greetings and helpful knowledge. Im gonna be heading to Austin tomorrow for the lonestar roundup and swap meet and hopefully I can find that elusive fender for the spare that I need.....almost like looking for a unicorn and thought that maybe by now a reproduction part would have been available.

Many Thanks and good health to you!

8. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Carlos, The 235 Chevy Engine you are thinking of or reading about is the 1955 to 1962? newer High pressure IL 6 motor. It shares the same block as the 216 and will bolt right into your engine bay and Bell Housing. It increases HP to around 125-135. They used to be plentiful and cheap and an easy upgrade. Getting a 216 rebuilt these days is difficult, but a 235 still has lots of parts houses. I have one in my 1953 and a 216 in my 47'. The newer 235 is a tremendous power boost. You can see my rebuilt 235 in the for sale section. Been there a long time. I consider it my replacement if the 47's 216 blows one day.

9. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

cleaned out the garage for the 52 and getting ready to begin initial repairs. tuneup, harness rewiring. fuel tank cleanout and brake overhaul.......too excited! nothing like a clean garage for a classic truck.

Attached Files:

10. Zig

Zig Member

I am LOVING the floor!!! Floor tile or paint? Awesome!

11. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Zig, Thanks...did this bout 5yrs ago with regular tile (most affordable way to go) glued on with the tile adhesive for floors. they do get dirty specially with HOT tires but a little scrubbing and some wax spread out with a mop will give a super shiny floor. cool in the summer.

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

Love your truck!! glad you found us here. I like your paint the best;) Can't wait to see your progress. As you have found these guys here are the best!

13. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Thanks Wolf, yeah I like that old paint job and according to the previous owner he painted it with a roller and brush...hahaha but it kept the rust out. i plan to get it running and just drive it like that for a while. My wife keeps her horses at a stable where kids learn to ride so they are planning on adding their personal touch to it with brushes....should be interesting...lol
    BTW..Congratulations on your son, do spend time with them as they do grow up fast....im now into seven grandkids.