New To The Forum

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Raz76, May 14, 2012.

1. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Chassis Engineering, Inc. (their website) makes a bolt-on IFS for Chevrolet AD pick-up trucks. Check out the system specific to those trucks here. They are made in the USA, about two hours north of me in Iowa.

Damon

2. Raz76

Raz76 Member

So I guess I have a 228, is this worth trying to repair and rebuild or should I sell it. How much should I ask for it with manual transmission?

[​IMG]

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Old Engine Value

If you sell it as is , just $150 or so .

Me , I'd make it run and then drive it , as it's a full pressure , seven main bearing high nickle content block GMC L O N G MOTOR , I honestly believe you'll be surprised and pleased with how much power it makes , not a V-8 but those are (yawn) belly buttons , anyone can have one .

Even when you're running it hard , it sips less fuel than any V-8 so consider that as fuel prices raise back up to $5.00 the Gallon next year .

If you tune it up and make it run well , you *might* find someone who needs it and will give you $300 ~ $500 for the whole shebang , fan to U-Joint , engine and tranny but , this is the small l o n g motor so even though it'll run rings around the wimpy Chevrolet 235 , it's not a big deal like the mighty GMC 302 that's worth $1,000. when it's in VGC .

I'd not expect to make any $ by selling this engine so don't invest more than regular tune up stuff until you decide which way you're going to go .

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  4. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Thanks for the advice. By the way the engine does run.

5. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Can someone help me find the thread that talks about shortening the bed please, thanks.

6. Raz76

Raz76 Member

I have a question. I removed the front rotors yesterday to find out why my brakes aren't working. I already replaced the master cylinder but that didn't fix the problem. When I removed the rotors and stepped on the brake pedal, I noticed that the Wheel Cylinders are not moving. I want to upgrade to disc but cant afford to now. Do you guys suggest I just buy the rebuild kit since its a lot cheaper or just wait and do the conversion? Also, what's better the factory way of the master cylinder under the cab or should I upgrade to a corvette one and install it on the firewall? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  7. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Ray,

Just my two cents, but I chose to do the front disc brake upgrade, and I'm also putting a power brake booster on the firewall. Mine is a 'from the ground up' project, so I don't know if you want to tackle all of that at the same time or not. My truck is currently in pieces in three different buildings right now. If you have a driver, you may want to upgrade your braking system in increments. Totally up to you!!

Have you installed power steering on your truck? I've gone through two different vendors for front disc brakes. Both kits came with caliper brackets that do not clear the factory steering stops bolted to the back of the front axle. The only way I've found to be able to use the front disc brake kits right out of the box is to have power steering. The steering box limits the steering gear travel, eliminating the need for the factory stops on the back of the axle.

Damon

8. Raz76

Raz76 Member

I will be doing the Mustang II IFS. I was just hopping to get these factory brakes working in the mean time, so I can drive it and see how that feels. However I want to be safe and if you guys don't think its a good idea, then I'll wait when I get the Mustang II and upgrade then.

9. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with using the factory brakes... that system has worked for decades. I was only sharing the path I chose to take with my project. Neither truck I had was a driver, nor were they even complete. That's why I went with upgrading everything from the beginning.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the factory system as long as you fix everything that's wrong with it, then adjust all of the components properly. Then, you can save your dimes until it's time to upgrade both the suspension and the brakes.

Damon

10. Raz76

Raz76 Member

I sanded and treated an extra fender I had tonight, my son helped sanded it down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Man, that is a neat old truck! Even better that you have your boy out in the shop helping you with your project.

Damon

12. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Thanks, I appreciate that. He came out and said" Hey Dad! you need some help" that was awesome feeling.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good daddy !

Keep it up .

14. Raz76

Raz76 Member

What would be the best and cheapest way to lower a half ton with factory front axle and 72 Camaro rear for this stance??

[​IMG]

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Might want to talk to Evan or Russ, .. . . . but isn't this just a great looking Truck

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Can one of you guys with a short bed tell me the length of your bed please, I would appreciate it.

17. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Bed measurements

Ray, here's something to start with. If you need more measurements, shout out!

bed measurement 001.jpg

Ken

18. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Ok so Ive been working on the 1/2 ton frame. Got everything off of it and getting ready to clean it and Por-15 it. The rear is a 1972 Camaro 10 bolt and I want to swap to disc but I don't want to do those expensive kits, what other alternatives do I have?

19. Raz76

Raz76 Member

I must have done or said something wrong, since people dont really care to help me out. Thanks anyway, I guess Im on my own. Ill figure it out, thanks.

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ray ;

You've done nothing wrong , all the info you're requesting is there in the older messages .

I can't be of any help to you because I'm a Dealer trained Mechanic who only knows stock but many here have done what you're doing .