New tools

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Sep 27, 2015.

1. coilover

coilover Member

The kids flock around the tool truck every Thursday like teenagers at a carnival girlie show but I have to admit they sure are coming up with some interesting tools. One bought a auto darkening welding helmet that is window glass clear before arc is struck and another got a battery jumper that is amazing. It's about the size of a kitchen match box and fired up my ancient riding lawn tractor in a flash. Probably weighs around two pounds. I can remember when one used an actual battery on a cart and later a jumper was the size of a big lunch box. Of course they are like Tennessee Ernie Ford owing his soul to the company store, just substitute truck for store. When they need valve bars for a flathead Ford or the tool to remove the nut from the terminal on the side of a stovebolt distributor they are standing in front of my toolbox, AND mine are all paid for.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

That's funny, Evan. Same thing happens around here.
    The guys usually RUN for the truck. They are afraid if they don't buy SOMETHING, the truck will stop coming.
    My brother and I call their giant toolboxes, jewelry boxes.
    Steve.

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Just this past Friday, I added another tool to my brother's body shop inventory. A simple deburring tool, used extensively in the machining world. He hadn't ever seen one before. Not something he'll use everyday, but its there when a sharp edge needs a quick cleanup.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I love tools , the more the merrier .

I can't afford the tool truck much so Pawn Shops and Auto Jumbles etc. have always been my hunting grounds , Thrift and Antique Stores too occasionally yield hard to find top quality tools affordably .

Interestingly , in most shops , the guy with the biggest , shiniest rollaway , is the worst Mechanic.....

ccharr and 50 Chevy LS3 like this.
  5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Interestingly , in most shops , the guy with the biggest , shiniest rollaway , is the worst Mechanic.....

-Nate
    Yeah, Nate, the guy with the old beat-up box with drawers that won't shut all the way, is the guy to go to.
    I tell my wife, a guy can never have enough tools. And, there is nothing better that having the right tool for the job.
    Steve.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Steve and Nate,
    I'm with you 100%. I have a small three drawer box but don't keep tools in it, it's for things like pens, pencils, pads, markers, soap stone, etc. EVERY tool is hanging on a peg so I can be reaching for it when I'm still two steps away. Collectively I'd bet it has saved customers thousands of hours during the last many years. Have nearly every brand ever made I'd guess and all mixed together. When each wrench/socket size is a different brand they're easy to spot. I would much rather have a thief steal money from me than a tool because with a tool I can earn the money back. During WWII manufactures were making things they never made before; Ford B24 bombers, Singer 1911 Colt 45's, etc and this included tools so during the late 40's and early 50's I picked up tools made by companies people can't believe when they see the name on them.

ccharr likes this.