new truck

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 1951 chevy blue, Mar 12, 2015.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Auto Paint

FWIW , it's always wise to get much more than you think you can possibly use , have it all mixed at once then split up into pint cans , it'll last for years this way allowing you to work at your own speed and have touch up paint for decades to come .

When painting VW Beetles , I always ordered up a GALLON and never had any troubles , the paint shop was always happy to mix it one time then fill all
    those danged pints , the painter was always happy too .

In case you're on a budget , you can usually buy left over / abandoned mixed paint from the Paint Store at a good discount ~ I'd usually re spray for resale so I'd tell them to mix all the misc. red pints & quarts they had in any shade of red , into one gallon , they'd worry I hated it but $35 for a gallon of good quality red paint is a $teal so I lived with it and never got a bad red .

Painting is really time consuming ~ I did a few in the 1970's then quit .

2. Zig

Zig Member

Hahahaha!!!!!

I love it! Screw with the colorblind kid, right? ;)

3. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

New Paint Color

After talking to my man Doug at NAPA three paint samples were made and the label was swapped on two of them. There in lies the confusion. Now I have the colors that I wanted. Dash is Seacrest green and the remaining interior is an cream/green lemon lime sherbet kind of color. It only shows up in the seat pan pic of the dash. I am no photographer but now I am happy!! A color in your mind is not easy to replicate in reality.
    Mike

Attached Files:

4. Zig

Zig Member

Nice!

Because having to repaint a perfectly good paint job is so much fun!
    As long as it finally worked out for you is what matters. Can't wait to see how the rest of the cab ends up! White seat maybe?
    And then of course, there are the outside colors~
    It is fun seeing other rides come together!

5. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Changes in attitude

This project started out as a daily driver for my wife but has morphed into something else.I finally have the cab in primer. Hope to paint in the next few weeks. I need to clean out my neighbors spray booth for the next part. Priming in my wood working shop was OK. After all this work I don't want all of the saw dust in the finish.
    Mike

Attached Files:

6. Zig

Zig Member

Good luck! I hope it's not like around here. The humidity levels are unreal...

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cab Works

WOW ! .

That looks really clean .

8. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Final blocking and paint underway

After a month of waiting my neighbor and I are going to clean out the paint booth this Saturday. I am going to paint next Saturday, maybe! I got a little impatient after doing all of the final blocking this week and decided to paint under hood and a few other parts in the wood shop. They came out fine but I won't paint the cab in there. Late this afternoon another pallet of parts arrived for the new truck. Inner and outer fenders, running boards, and grill. It's like Christmas in June. After all of this sanding it is getting fun again.
    Mike

Attached Files:

9. Zig

Zig Member

Awesome!!!

That looks GREAT!

It's hard to tell what color you have there as some pictures it looks one way, in others it looks quite different!
    (It could be my color blindness working its wonders, but it is interesting the amount of change in color I see.)
    Enjoy the heck out of the process, you have a BUNCH to be proud about!
    And now, MORE PARTS!!! :cool:

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow, looking good!

Looks like your moving along real well, Mike. Wish I was to the point of cab painting. Thanks for bringing us along! That's what we like, pictures, the more the better!
    Mike, what paint are you using? You said NAPA, so, Martin Senour? Base/clear or single stage acrylic enamel? My local NAPA store also sells "Finish One", said to be a "value line", I've never tried.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  11. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Zig, the paint color is called clover. I picked off of a paint chart at Napa it looks different in different light but it is a solid color off white with a hint of green.
    Steve the paint is crossfire single stage urethane. I have not yet mastered the base coat clear coat system yet. I have painted a few trucks with the single stage and have more confidence with my abilities. Once I have painted the cab I will take some pictures out in the light with a good camera and post them. All of the pictures I have posted so far are from my phone. Opened all of the new parts today, no damage!! I was a little disappointed at first with the grill it is chrome and cream I thought it was all chrome. After some thought, once I repaint the cream to match my body color it should look real sharp. Thanks for all the interest!
    Mike

12. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Steve I was just looking at some of your past posts and saw one about weld thru primer. The roof on my truck came with weld thru from Dynacorn. I didn't trust it so I sanded all weld joints before welding. After using All Metal for one coat of filler and fairing back I noticed small rust spots. I stripped all of the primer and found a whole lot more. As for the EDP primer I was suspicious so sand ed back a long way and found no problems. The only reason I bring this up is my new inner fenders have weld thru primer, why I cant imagine. Should I trust them or strip them?
    Mike

13. Zig

Zig Member

I see~ So "1951 chevy blue" is just to mess with us colorblind members, eh?

Well, it looks great and you will have so much to proud of! Keep dem pictures coming! :D

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Mike, I think Dynacorn is transitioning over to weld-thru primer on all their parts. It is easier to offer everything in the same primer, and brings along a little price increase also.
    The rule on the "black" coatings for me has been, if lacquer thinner softens it, take it all off.
    The silver "weld thru" primer is marketed as a rust inhibiter for spots inside auto bodys that cannot be reached for final paint. Therefore, I would not believe they intend for you to do more than scuff it and prime it with whatever brand of primer you intend to topcoat over.
    I'm trying to understand where you found rust. Was it under un-touched weld-thru primer, applied at the factory? If that is the case, I wonder if the part was allowed to "flash rust" a little before being coated. Was there any evidence of rust on the surface?
    My Dynacorn floor pan came with weld-thru, and it seems to still be OK. I found that you can actually weld right over it, and, the spray can stuff made by 3M.
    The truth is, however, as Lakeroadster said in one those old posts, the best welds are on clean steel.

15. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Steve, the rust was under the untouched weld thru primer. I only found it as I was sanding back my first application of all metal filler over the weld joints with the D.A. I ground all primer off before welding also. The rust spots were only about an eighth of an inch in diameter. I didn't trust it so I stripped it all. After stripping I found several spots. They may not have caused any problem but it's done now.
    Mike

16. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Repops

No painting yet. A body man friend stopped by and said STOP! I was ready to paint the cab without mocking up the nose of the truck. Turns out he was right . Fenders didn't line up well at all. Inner fenders needed fitting around the new upper A arms etc. Several holes were miss aligned or missing altogether. It took two days to get the fenders and grill together and will still need at least another day of further adjustment. I think I will need to slice and dice the hood to get it even close to fitting. I guess that's what you get when you buy a truck in a box. At this point maybe I'll paint the cab in September. I seem to be doing everything twice, It's normal for me but is it normal?
    Mike

Attached Files:

17. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't feel too bad Mike, most of these trucks left the factory with bad panel fit.

18. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Evan

I was just looking back over this thread and noticed your comments on my door fitment. I am going to back and remove the hinges and drop the hood in the hole and go from there. Thanks for the good advise.

Mike

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Panel Fitments

Yes Mike ;

Now you're learning why :

A. Restoration work costs so much .

B. why so little of it is ever done correctly ~ it takes so much time to do properly .

20. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

If I could only do things TWICE, It would be an improvement.
    You still look to be getting along real good to me!