new truck

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 1951 chevy blue, Mar 12, 2015.

1. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Hood Problems

The new hood is not even close to fitting. The hood is about an inch wider than it should be at the hinge points. It looks as though I will need to take the whole thing apart to make it work. After removing the hood latch brace I was able to pull the center forward enough to be a reasonable fit but will need to slice some relief in the bottom lip to pull the front sides forward to where they should be. I hate to cut apart a new hood but I just don't see another way. Pictures to follow.
    Mike

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hood Fitment

Mike ;

Is this a re pop hood or good used ? .

Maybe look in the older body and resto threads as hood alignment is always a problem on these trucks .

3. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Re Pop

Nate this a re pop hood. It is not even close to fitting. I have taken Evan's advise and fit it without hinges, after installing cowl anti rattle strip and hood bumpers. I have also looked at several restorations to compare fit and try to duplicate that fit. So far I have determined it is about an inch wide at the cowl and three eighths at the grill. After I stitch it back together I'll look at the fit from front to rear. Zig here's what I have so far.
    Mike

Attached Files:

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Repop Panels

Thanx Mike ;

It looks like you have some work to do but it also looks like you know what to do .

5. Zig

Zig Member

Great photos! It has got to be a great feeling knowing you can get this to work out. When you are all done, it will be worth the effort.

6. e015475

e015475 Member

There's a shop here in Phoenix called 'Industrial Chassis' that built an AD truck and used a Dynacorn hood. You can read the write-up on the build of the truck here and the problems they encountered with the repop hood-

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/?cat=138

7. Zig

Zig Member

Great article/awesome build!

8. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Labor intensive mistake

As noted by others purchasing re pop parts is a poor choice unless no other choice is available. If I had to do this again I would pay the crazy shipping costs for an original in fair shape as opposed to a re pop. At this point I have about 30 hours into this hood and no end in sight. Install-cut-fit-cut-fit-remove -cut-weld-install. Many adult beverages! allow 3 days for blood pressure to return to normal. Start again. Building Mc'Mansions with mountains of lumber and 30 page plans do not scare me as I have a lot of experience at that, but this is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!! This was supposed to be a hobby with no stress. I'll do this if it takes all summer
    Mike

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Baby Steps

Good deal Mike ;

I can't do any Carpentry but the Mechanical stuff is dead easy .

Body works scare me but I have done it in a pinch ,looks bad but it works .

You'll get there .

10. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Time Out

After much frustration with the hood fitment/alignment I decided to let it rest for a while. Picked up a nice seat frame from a guy in Rhode Island that had a great collection of everything including gas pumps and make n brake engines that I am also interested in. I also did some patch work on my jeep/weekend toy. The stock farm tractor pulling has been fun also with lots of competition. I am going to wait until after labor day to resume work on the new truck. Other things that are not so frustrating are taking my time now, and I can't worry about the hood problem. It's likely a simple problem that will require a bit of concentration that I can't give just now. It's also time to start working on the plows and sanders. Just trying to enjoy the rest of the summer as snow is on the way.
    Mike

Attached Files: