Oil Type and Weight

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Zig

Zig Member

I couldn't believe the <stuff> that was in the bottom of my pan when I took it off to clean. Yikes! It ran great when it was running, however...

Have yet to take the valve cover off.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Right As Rain !

Yes , it's good to go , do not short change this oil .

3. Wolf

Wolf Member

Willard: Thanks. I too have had good luck with synthetics! And am seeing some mileage increase too.
    I have a fire stone credit card, and it has been great for me. I get a regular oil change with all the inspections for 21 bucks after taxes and everything!!! It was 44 bucks for a full synthetic change. They use Kendal Oils. It also gives me rebates at the end of the year and discounts on everything. Its been a great card, and they guys are awesome there!!

A while back I had a lil 97 toyota rav4 kept leaking oil out of the drain plug. They rebored it out and everything for me for free, and that didn't work, so they replaced the oil pan free of charge. They said hey we must have messed it up it didn't leak the first 3-4 times you brought it in and now it does. Just good honest guys there! So my wife made them some cookies to thank them.

Anyway long pointless story but its nice to know there are still good people out in the world!!!;)

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

NOT ' Pointless ' !!

That's why we're all here : to read and LEARN , stories (even my long winded boring ones) are a good way to impart or gain knowledge .

I'm breaking in the overhauled engine in my 1959 Metropolitan's 1500 C.C. engine on Dino based Moto oil as it has Zinc in it .

Once I get a thousand or three miles on it I'll switch to synthetic .

I had the Met up to 75 MPH uphill on the Freeway yesterday , it's bedding in well :D .

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good to hear about another treasure on the road again.

6. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks guys!!! Its been fun driving it on the road, thats for sure. Have a few days off this week. My parents came in to visit my wife and I. Going to put them to work. My dad turns 50 soon, so its fun to hang out with him and work on the truck and other things. The weather should be nice too!!!

7. Zig

Zig Member

Now I feel old~

I just turned 50 and got my AARP invite to prove it!:D

I hope the weather cooperates for you. At the start of the week, it was a GREAT forecast. Now they're saying SNOW??? :eek: :mad:

Enjoy your folks and that beautiful G! ;)

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Feh !

You youngsters....

:rolleyes:

:D

:cool:

9. Wolf

Wolf Member

The weather held out ok, it was 50 and cloudy, not the 55 and sunny they said. We had a great time. They are leaving this morning. i was able to take off Monday afternoon, and all day Tuesday. My mom and my wife went shopping, and my dad and I cleaned up his 06 Tacoma, waxed it and put some sound deadening in the rear of the truck.

Yesterday we washed my wifes car, and then drove the GMC to the hardware store :D got some wood to build shelves and a retractable work bench in the garage. Will post some pics up to show that off. Worked outside Saturday also. Also got new shocks put on my T-100! It was needing it. They had no push left in them. Looked to be originals, 1996 80k miles. We got a lot of stuff done. Its nice to get those little things done;)

PS didn't mean to make you old guys feel old;) I just turned 27 last dec. Thanks for all the help! I was always raised that you respect your elders, even if its a few years. Im really glad my parents raised me that way. I have found I have learned more this way then any other way!

Sometime I feel like the kids today don't have that. On a side note my wife and I teach a youth group at our church and the kids there are great!!! Middle and Highschool age. Great Kids! gives ya hope ya know

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  10. Zig

Zig Member

Glad it worked out for you, Brian! Did you wash and wax that G?

I know you folks did a good job with you. Respect for others is a quality that needs to be kept alive. I'm sure you do a great job with the youngsters at your church. It's to bad that respect is not a givin quality anymore.

Glad you had fun outdoors~ Snow in the forcast and lows (down here) in the 20's.
    Global warming? I'd hate to think of where we'd be without it!

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Respect Etc.

Respect is never a given ~ it may be given at the start but retaining it requires work on the recipient's part .

Soenduing time with youths , good or bad , is they key to teaching them the tools needed to suceed in life .

I am not my son's ' pal ' , I am his father .

Lucky for me he likes how I rasied him and asked me to hang out all day to-morrow.... ;)

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

Very true Nate!!! Kids need Fathers, not friends as their parents. As much as I love my father today, I'm so glad that he raised me the way he did. When I did something wrong I got in trouble and got a lesson to why, and how I should act. We are great friends now!

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Us Too !

I am ever so grateful we're close as can be .

His mother , OTOH , always tried to be his ' pal ' and never told him ' no ' so now he doesn't like being around her atall :( .

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks Zig!!! yeah global warming, don't even get me started on that line of BS. Great money maker right! Al sure knows so. it will be 65 here today and 33 and snow tomorrow, then back to the 60's on tuesday. Oh well.