Old Navy Trucks

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Robert, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Chiro

Chiro Member

Where did you get all those Old Navy trucks? I have one that I am restoring. Just got it. It is in very good shape. Lots has been cut out of it, though. Upper shock mounts front and rear are torched. No wiring, no interior parts, just a rear with a torched torque tube and stcok steering. Cab is great and body is too. Frame is in fine shape, only surface rust. Bed is rudimentary. do these trucks have cross-members for the bed? Did you get titles with your trucks? How do I get a title for mine? Mine is a '54 with an earlier nose on it. cool loking. My boys, age 12, 11, 9 are going to bulis it with me. Going to update the driveline

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Title ?

Go to news stand , buy copy of Hemming's Motor News , look up title service and use one of them .

In the driver's side door post is a metal tag , prolly all beat up and covered by numerous re-paints , that's the _ONLY_ VIN on the truck ~ use that to get title and then you might want to stamp this number on the left side of the frame where it's visable when looking down insed the engine compartment , do this now so by the time you get around to having your local DMV officer inspect the VIN for your state's title , it'll all be re-painted and match , no obvious you stamped it....

Or you can go to your local OPG and ask them who does thier lien sales and use that company , might be more expen$ive (might be less too) and results in a title from your state .

3. Chiro

Chiro Member

Thanks Nate,

Done lats of cars, just never a chevy and never a truck. Been a Ford man my whole life. Figured I'd try this project to see what everyone is talking about re: Chevy's. Just kidding. Love Chevy's. This will be the first I am building for myself. Looking forward to putting in a 350/350.

I have a tag on the door post and it has been painted over. VIN is still readable, though. What is an OPG??????

Thanks,

Andy

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

VIN De-coding

Sorry ;

I no longer keep my old books under my desk here so cannot de-code that for you .

Fords are cool , esp. the old 223 6-bangers , I had a few , notably TWO 1959
    F-100's , one was an ex - Air Force crash truck from .......Ayers AFB (IIRC) in the 60's , we paid $75.00 for it and I loved that rusty old POC .

Then here in sunny So. Cal. I bought another one , a Fleetside bed with NO rust , ran it hard hauling cement and cinder blocks etc. when I bought my house .

I don't do V-ates and so will step aside for my hot rod bretheren to fill in your many questions .

Don't forget the GearVendor's overdrive behind that 350 Turbo ! :D

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

' Opg ' ~ Duh !

Sorry about that Andy ~ I had a brain fart there . :rolleyes:

OPG is :

Official

Police

Garage

You know , the folks who impound your old truck after one too many beers or an accident ~ they impound vehicles and about 1/2 of them never get picked up so they do " Lein Sale " on them to legally get title to they can sell off as scrap or whatever .

-Nate

6. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Hey robert if at all possible will you take a few pictures of the silver truck in the show room? Also what color is that? (I know silver but I mean specific LOL) I plan on painting mine silver as well and would really like to see more detailed pictures of yours. It looks like it is a beautiful truck. Thanks in advance.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Colors

For those who like silver paint (silver , yarggg) look into VW / Porsche
    ' Strato Silver ' ~ it's very nice and has helped me sell a _lot_ of used cars..:rolleyes:

Looks great on hot rods .

8. Robert

Robert Administrator Staff Member

9. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

color

Thanks Robert for the pics. It is a very beautiful truck. I can't wait to see mine this far along.

10. Robert

52 Chevy

Here are a couple of more pics that I found for you of the interior ...

Attached Files:

11. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Man, talk about ergonomics! i love those seats. by the way, i noticed that you don't have your inner panels for your doors. If you have trouble finding some, i know of a place in Kansas City that will have some for you!

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Killer Seats

Whoo-hah ! now that's a good looking seat ! .

-Nate

13. Robert

Interior

Ken,

Those were some older photos. We have all the interior done now. We actually have driven it out to the Good-Guys show at the Kansas Speedway and a few other local events. It's pretty much done except for some tinkering...well, I guess they never are really done though are they. There is always something to fix, replace, redo, add, take off etc... :D

14. Robert

Seats

And the bonus is that the seat is comfortable too! We removed the behind the seat gas tank and also got some smaller seat brackets to give a little more leg and headroom.

15. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I think I speak for everyone on this: We want more pictures. Engine compartment, bed, interior, etc, etc. I assume you found some inside door panels (hehe)!

16. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I'm usually a bucket seat kinda guy, but man what a cool looking seat. I love what you guys did with the interior. I'm with Ken, MORE PICS PLEASE!!!!:p

17. Zig

Zig Member

Wellllllllll?????????????????? Photos????????????? That's a beauty but we gotta' see MORE! (Where do I stick these dollar bills anyway?):rolleyes: And where did that stance come from? Tired springs on an original front end, or did you do a little IFS? Looking at these fotoes, now I understand why people would paint their ride silver! Me? Red, white and gold! (yellow) Live in Kansas, gotta' go Chiefs colors!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  18. Chiro

Chiro Member

I have an Old Navy truck that my kids and I got in August and have been restoring into a work truck to teach them all about restoration and automotive systems. This is not going to be a trailer queen. I have been "Google-ing" since August trying to find the paint code for the darn things and yesterday I finally hit pay-dirt. Found the guy in upstate New York that used to build them for Old Navy. He hasn't built one for them in about five years, but before that he put together over 500 of the suckers. He doesn't remember the exact code, but told me it is a stock Ditzler color with a flattening agent added. Promised me he would dig up the color code and get back to me. My plan is to just do the body work that is needed and spot paint it with my kids. Like I said, no trailer queens here.

Andy

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cool Beans Andy !

Just remember : flat paint retains water & promotes RUST so thoink hard before laying flat paint on a vehicle parked outside...

It'll retain dirt & greasy handprints too .

Getting your kids involved is priceless .

20. Chiro

Chiro Member

Okay Nate,

Here's a question for you then. I hear about these guys that clear coat their rusty old trucks to give it a rat rod look. BUt I know that if you put clear on old paint, it will eventually just peel off like cellophane. I have an old '93 'Burban that was painted on one side after a side-swipe. The clear coat wasn't laid down on it in time and my kids keep peeling off the old "tape" that they see on top of the paint. Can I clear coat the flat paint as is or will it peel off and stuff? I'm not much of an auto body man so I'm playing the body repair stuff by ear. I'm a heck of a good mechanic, though. I guess that makes up for some of it :rolleyes: BTW, the greasy handprints are PLANNED because this is going to be a WORK truck. Greasy handprints come with the territory

Andy

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006