Only way is up!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 12, 2008.

1. 51papy

51papy Member

Right on Paul! Looks great sounds better. Don't forget to video the first trip out of the garage.

Congrats
    Papy

2. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Sounding good Zig! Looks like it's almost road ready!

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Nicely done!

Zig,
    All I can say is:

The guy who always asks for PICTURES steps it up with VIDEO!

Surely an inspiration to those who can't quite see the finish line yet.

Thank you!

OBTW, where is Evan going? Is it in another thread? He is of course welcome at my dinner table anytime.

4. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks all! So many here have helped get me to this point!

Bill, I'm keeping the soundtrack. As you may have noticed, I have yet to shift a gear...

Yeah, I *had* to post a video~ I know how much I love seeing AND hearing other trucks, right Robert? ;)

Evan and his bride are tooling up north of KC. He had plans of stopping by a couple other members homes up in that area. Speaking of posting pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing those from whomever he stops by on the way!

Funny thing~ it seems like a week ago I was wondering what to do with that old gas. Now I need to go get some more fresh gas for my truck to idle through! Life is good!

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice video Paul ! .

Now everyone knows what an Inliner is supposed to sounds like ~ you can clearly hear the tappets clicking away .

6. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Nate!

I figured if it didn't sound right, you'd set me straight. (Which I greatly appreciate, BTW!)
    The video has the engine running a bit faster than I want it, but that's because to get it to fire up, ya need to pump the pedal 4 times, pull the choke out about halfway, and it will fire right up.
    I forgot to tone it down before I jumped to recording.
    I wasn't sure about the clickity-clacking, but I guess that is okay, huh?
    Also~
    With the engine slightly choked, (slightly higher idle like in the video) I can rev the engine without any problems. (It decline of RPMS takes a while longer than I would expect...)
    If I take it off choke to a nice, calm idle and try to rev it, it will miss a beat, more than likely backfire one time, and basically let me know it didn't appreciate that. It will allow me to slowly/steadily increase the RPMs, but will not go for anything more than this. Would Pertronix solve this issue?
    Thoughts?
    Many thanks!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Are you kidding me ?! .

I wrote this long & detailed response then it *vanished* when I clicked ' post ' :mad: .

I'm seriously P.O.'d right now .

Just begin at the basics , it sounds good so something small is amiss .

8. Zig

Zig Member

Nate, I feel your pain! I've had that happen a couple of times on this site, over the years. It totally blows!
    I appreciate you trying anyway!
    I've not put a timing light on it yet~ I took the dizzy out to put the new vacuum advance on it back when it was just sitting. Line the rotor up with #1 plug and went from there.
    I just can't tell you how happy I am to be able to pump the pedal and fire this baby up! The carburetor rebuild had a bunch to do with this success, no doubt.

9. Chiro

Chiro Member

FANTASTIC. I like the quick wrap around tour of the truck before you opened the hood. It really shows how close you are to taking it for a spin. How's the bed coming along (not that you need a bed on it to take it for a spin, Lol)?

From your description of how you "field" timed it when you put the dizzy in, I'm willing to bet it's a timing issue. Throw a light on it, disconnect the vacuum advance and time that sucker and I bet your issue goes away.

Andy

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lost Posts

The frustrating part is : some sites I can use the back button to go back to that page and copy my post before logging in again......

GRrrrrrrr.

Grertings from Mesquite , Nevada ! .

My Brother and I are driving to Boston .

11. Zig

Zig Member

Stop by!!!!!!!!

Hey, we are on a straight line on this trip!!! Stop by!!!
    Phone # 620-231-0845
    307 West 6th, Pittsburg, Kansas. Pretty close to I-44!

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Invite

THANK YOU Paul ! .

We're East Bound on I-70 and I told my Brother , we'll see what he wants to do , not up to me else I'd stop in every junkyard and old trucker's house i pass :D .

Anyone here work for / with the Border Patrol ? .

I'd like to visit Canada but my passport was stolen by the TSA folks and I never bothered to replace it , all I have is two forms of Govt. photo I.D. .

TIA ,

13. Wolf

Wolf Member

Nate I'm only about 20 miles south of I70. In Kansas City. I will be in western Kansas this Wednesday through Saturday. If you can stop by.

Sent you a PM

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  14. Zig

Zig Member

HA! I can just see the predicament that you would be in passing a-l-l-l-l-l those junk yards!!!
    It would be too good to be true to have both you AND Evan by here, but I understand the plan, and we are a tad far South of I-70!
    None the less, a guy can dream, right?
    Safe travels, Nate!

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Visiting

O.K. ,THANK YOU for the invite(s) !! :D .

I'm in Burlington , Co. to - night (where the water is unsafe to drink , nitrates) and the Internet connection is iffy at best ~ we've swapped Motels

My Brother is mapping out Paul's address , I need Brian's too , might not get it until to - morrow morning tho' .

it's 11:20 PM and I've not yet had dinner , did shower and will pass out soon .I wish I could have stopped in the remote , obscure Colorado Junk Yard in the middle of no where I found , that's the best kind to find old Farm Trucks , of course often Farm Trucks have nothing left of any use .

BTW : I need a really nice 1969 / 1970 (ONLY) Chevy grille.......

16. Zig

Zig Member

This would be SO fantastic!!!

As I say, you will have to drop down from I70 on 69, stop by Brian's then head way south to where I am, but then you can catch 44 which goes by Joplin and eventually St. Luis and points East.
    The other thing you could do is on the way back head down 44 to 69, take a much shorter dog leg north to here, go back down and get on 44 to 40 taking the southern route back to LA.
    The main thing is, safe travels and you couldn't imagine how great it would be to have you two stop by!!!!

17. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Burlington, Colorado. I stopped at the Days inn there one night and remember the desk clerk, an older guy who looked like a real cowboy, told me the only place to get ANY cell-phone signal was out back, standing on the picnic table. He wasn't kidding.

Zig, thanks for the video. Very COOL.

By posting that, you posted, what, 3000 pics., all run together.

I always joked I needed a mechanic I could just hold the phone up to my engine and he could tell me what the problem is. I guess we all have that now.

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A Rough Day

O.K. , we blew two tires to - day , I'd told my Brother to replace them months ago , one was bald on both edges but the rear tires wore through to the cords then blew , that fungy looking left front held air all they way to Hayes (SP ?) where I bought four new crappo firestones , I'da never stopped there but I'm not in charge on this trip (shrug) .

Anyway , we're in Lawrence (?) Kansas for the night , schedule went swirling down the toilet so no visiting dammit :mad: .

I have to go look at the 3/4torque tube seal repair as there were some comments I wanted to make and I've not even read it yet :rolleyes: .

I saw several Hot Rodded Advance Design pickups on the freeway to - day and wheneverwe get off , I make sure we drive the back roads through any little town , I see lots and lots of working 3/4 & 1 ton flat bed AD's working hard :D .

O.K. , Big Brother's out of the shower , I need to go wash then stand by the laudromat in my skivvies whilst I wash my grimy clothes....... :cool: .

19. Zig

Zig Member

Making Memories!

As long as your both safe, that's what matters the most!
    Sounds like your timing should match you up nicely with the remnants of tropical storm Bill...
    Pick up a raft or some life jackets for the trip east into Missouri.

Are you flying back or driving back?

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rain

We spent last night just East of Lexington Kentucky , the rain has been dogging us badly , at times visibility near zero , most other cars pulled over and had their flashers on , we just slowed down slightly below the speed limit and let the semis go flashing past at well over 80 MPH in the rain .

Driving home is the plan but I'm always flexible :D .

I expect to see one of my Sisters in Va. to - day .