Only way is up!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

I have one!!!

And a compression tester, both from my dad and ones that say, Made In USA! :D

I guess I'll need to ask how this works, of course. (I am not close to being a mechanic, let alone knowing all the stuff my dad knows about this stuff.)

I'd have him helping me, but he doesn't do heat very well...

2. Zig

Zig Member

Well now, the only way is OUT!!!

Out of the friggin garage!

The saga about spitting and sputter is in the rear view mirror now! The culprit? Points!

Now that it will run up to -well, as high of RPM as I'd care to go with ease, It is time to remove the board along the bottom of the garage door so I can drive it on out and see what falls off! :D

THANK YOU BILL HANLON for all your time and energy trying to point me in the right direction and sending me that wonderful meter that said it was the points!
    You are my hero!!! :cool:

Tomorrow, time to take a video!

3. Zig

Zig Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for the Photos and the Videos of the truck out of the garage Paul. Congrats.

Charles

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The KC GMC Rides !

Nice Paul ! .

I love hearing the sound of a symphonic cacophony :D .

I really like your brick sidewalk too .

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Congratulations, Zig!

Wow, this is reason for celebration, Zig!
    I'm really, really green right now.
    Cool video! Thanks for that!
    You will have to get your bed on, and do a 20 minute Youtube style vid similar to the ones on the Big Muscle/ Drive channel.

Looked it up- your first thread here was 10-14-2006!

7. Zig

Zig Member

It's been a l-o-n-g journey, but with a very happy ending!

Nate~ I love these brick sidewalks too! Just like our trucks, from back in the day when hard work was what we were all about. It takes a lot of effort to keep them looking that way, and there a miles of these all covered up with grass, but that will never happen around my house. I appreciate craftsmanship way too much!

Steve, I love what you have going on there! I am sure when you are all done, you are going to love it too! I'm also sure yours will ride MUCH smoother!
    The good thing about a "rides like a truck" ride is it will keep me from dozing off behind the wheel. ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  8. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Missing Bed.

Zig, I think you need to retrace your drive. You must have really hopped up that motor. You drove right out from under the bed. It's probably on the street where you went around a corner on two wheels.

9. 51papy

51papy Member

Now that's worth an adult beverage! That is a beautiful truck! I bet you get a bed on it and it will ride better. It's time to ride now.

Papy

10. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Job well done Zig. I thought I had patients but they pale in comparison to yours. If a project took me that long I am sure I would have lost interest. Congratulations!
    Mike

11. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig, what can I say that hasn't already been said?

Congrats my friend. Seems like years since we talked on the phone (ummm, I'm pretty sure it HAS been years). Get a bed on it (or not, I saw an AD the other day, sans bed) and drive it! I'll give you the rest of the directions to my house when you've given the old girl a shakedown run or two.

OBTW, I am having a "cold beverage" to celebrate her liberation from the garage!

Thumbs WAY UP!

12. Chiro

Chiro Member

I almost don't even believe my eyes!!!:eek::eek::eek: Zig's truck actually driving under it's own power???? Dear Lord, there must be some kind of rift in the cosmos itself. ;););)

Congratulations, Zig. Now get the bed on and some taillights and DRIVE it before it gets too cold to take it out of it's splendid home.

Seriously though, I know you started this thread in '08, but when did you get the truck? How long has the journey actually been to get you to this point? It's been a long one and I give you a lot of credit. Many others have quit long before on restorations, especially when theirs looks like yours did at page one of this thread.

Good on you, my friend.

Andy

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Classic Truck & Sidewalk Needs.....

A classic brick driveway......

Part of my back yard is done in brick .

I grew up Down East where this was common around the turn of the Century , folks were ripping them up in the 1950's & 1960's , I never understood why , they look so beautiful and easy to maintain .

14. Zig

Zig Member

Nate~ Believe me, I've thought of that!

Andy, I got the truck in 2005 as a three quarter with split rims. The first thing I did was find a source for brake shoes and such and redid the brakes, but not the lines. Drove it over to my mom and dad's once. Man, what a ride! It bounced like a horse and wobbled from left to right. That's when I knew I'd have to blow it apart and rework the whole dang thing.
    I went through a LOT of ideas on maybe this, maybe that, but I was happy to know that a 1/2 ton axle bolted right into the front of this, because this allowed for DISC BRAKES and a split brake system!
    Then later came the thought process for a rear end swap.
    All this stuff turned out just the way I hoped.
    I gotta admit, the toughest part was always the lack of funds to throw at it. I had to do it as I could, but in a way, that worked out great for me because all the time I spent grinding this thing down to bare metal and then the painting process kind of held me up anyway.
    There is a saying, good things come to those who wait. I could not be happier!

Side note~ It does have tail lights and a tag. Hard to see on the video.
    Also, the speedometer doesn't work, so I have no idea how fast I'm going. I need to look into this.
    Also, I need to do the door windows next, so I can leave it out on the street (locked up) for a midnight ride some night. Right now, I have no glass in driver's side door.
    So~ Next projects:
    Door glass
    Seat Belts (shoulder type)
    Door latches.
    BED!!!!!! (can't wait!)

Once again, without the help, great advice and direction from sooo many of you here, (past and present) I am not sure this day would have ever come!

THANK YOU!!!

15. Zig

Zig Member

I really shouldn't have done that~~~

But it's too late now.

I've been tooling around town (a bunch) going through engine flush solutions.
    I just started #3 today.
    This afternoon was beautiful, so I once again rolled down through the park, but then thought, I wonder how this thing would do at much faster speeds... :cool:
    It just so happens that the bypass goes right by the park, soooo...
    I went for it.
    I got rolling along beautifully!!! I have NO idea how fast I was going as the speedometer I got from our host (the nice steel one) isn't working. In fact, it slowly started creeping up as soon as I started driving it and made it all the way to 55 MPH.
    And that is where it stays.
    So if a cop pulls me over for speeding and asks, "Do you have any idea how fast you were going, I can point to the speedometer and say, 55?" :D

Bottom line, I am HOOKED!!! I gotta get out on the highway again tomorrow, for sure! I'M LOVING IT!!! :D:D:D:D

16. Chiro

Chiro Member

If you have a smart phone, you can download a free speedometer app. That's what I did when my speedo wasn't working. It works great but drains the battery on the phone because it uses GPS.

Andy

17. Zig

Zig Member

Nope~ No smart phone for me...
    Mine still is rotary dial. ;)

The speedometer actually tried working a bit today.
    Somewhere along the line it dropped back to zero and today when I was driving it, it was reading about right, and I saw the odometer was working.
    It was just for a while, but I guess it hasn't tried to keep track of speed for 10 years, so I really need to pull it and give it some lithium grease, I guess.
    While I'm waiting for my battery to charge.

18. Zig

Zig Member

Paint project

No need in beating around the bush about it, right? :D

It's lower on the door to line up with the horizontally with the fenders, once they are all on.

Attached Files:

19. coilover

coilover Member

Darn,
    Wish my class reunion (60th) wasn't till after you have to go back to work. I'd stop by with the old Buick and we could do a team drive to Omaha or some place like that. With the full oil pressure Jimmy engine and the Colorado rear I'd bet it can cruise at 63mph (2000 rpm on the Buick) all day long. You might need help to put it back in the shed now that it's tasted freedom. Congratulations.

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Now You Know

Paul ;

This is the reason Generous Motors Corporation's various trucks out sold the competition's by a wide margin in spite of ' only ' six cylinders ~ they're simply better designed to work and play hard and be nice to drive to boot .

Wait'll you cut the (uncessary) muffler off and run a long straight exhaust pipe all the way to the back bumper , you'll love the soft musical sound of that wondrous i6 .....

No tickets either ! :p .