Only way is up!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

5CE1DE12-2DE1-477B-82D2-C0660D94C48F.jpeg Cool beans!
    In the meantime, when I am up on my lofty perch I look down at my truck from time to time.
    It finally dawned on me that this angle would make a good photo!
    So here it is.
    I really love my truck, and how much God helped me along the way.
    Oh, and you guys as well! #cool#

Lakeroadster and 50 Chevy LS3 like this.
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow, Zig, you have been busy. If you are like me, going back to your regular job would be less work, but, less enjoyable.

No work really on my old truck project, yet, this summer. Trucking has been very busy since the first of the year. Finally pulled in and started doing some work on the big truck, that needs done. Right now, I've stripped the frame, from the sleeper back to sandblast and re-finish. It is a big job, but, essential, every few years to combat corrosion. Pulled the fifth wheel and everything. Hope to get that done, and repair a small crack in the fiberglass hood, (result of sending Bambi to the afterlife) before long and return to fun '50 Chevy work.

You and Mike are really multi-talented, fellows. This forum is very interesting, all of the time.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

That shot from the lofty perch is quite Artsy Fartsy Zig. Your truck is lookin good.

Do you ever drive your truck in the rain? Rooster tails in the rain are a hoot. I got stuck out in the rain in my fenderless model A once.. I think I generated more rain than the sky!

Steve, what's the plan for primer / paint on the Kenworth frame? Post some photo's on your truck thread.. inquiring minds want to know.

_____
    John :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  4. Zig

Zig Member

1EC4A704-8A8A-4DE3-93BB-4840FCAE2789.jpeg Ha! Fun stuff you both posted!
    Seriously- you can’t talk about projects without photos! You know this! #biggrin#
    Whenever I get my door glass in, the wipers go on and I will drive it in the rain!
    In the meantime, I entered it in its first 4th of July car show! And before you ask, yes, there were more cars/trucks then what you see. #wink#

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow ;

I'm envious of carpentry skills ! .

My poor old 1923 'craftsman bungalow' is really more of a termite farm at this point, if they ever stop holding hands, it'll collapse around me .

6. Zig

Zig Member

Hey Nate! Hope all is well!
    I can’t tell you how much I love driving my old 52 GMC around!
    Many trips in it to Home Depot to put this ceiling in our stairwell while my wife and daughter spent 2 weeks out in California.
    They were in LA then went up to San Francisco, then back to LA. My daughter loved it.
    Anyway, after 20 plus years, ceiling is in!

Attached Files:

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That looks very nice indeed .

I didn't realize you lived in an older home, my house (termite farm) is a 1923 Craftsman Bungalow, or what's left of one .

?! You let your family come to California in the middle of a heat wave when 1/2 of the state is ON FIRE ?! .

I keep telling you alls : "if it drives like a truck, it's NOT a CHEVROLET !" .

We're still out of our burned out house but the rental (also a termite farm) is actually pretty nice, it has broken AC and they're (I assume) swamped with previous calls for AC repairs so who knows when we'll get it fixed .

At least it's rarely over 85* F inside and cools down to 80* or so after sun set ~ Inglewood, Ca. isn't far from the coastline and we get a nice breeze most of the time .

I've been out working in the heat like a dufus, trying to get an old Honda CT90k2 trailbike running again, it runs now but has intermittent spark issues, I think the condenser is failing after a scant 48 years .

Of course, I need constant and cerful supervision, you can see them in this photo .

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

I no longer see the add picture button, that's too bad .

Maybe this will work:

CT90.GIZMO.8.4.18.jpg

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I drove by that Brenham Tx Chevy dealer (see bumper in Nate's picture above) yesterday.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good to hear they're still doing business .

11. Zig

Zig Member

6675A762-6EAD-4A7E-BD4F-3820F729F77B.jpeg Great photo Nate!
    My daughter loved California, but NY is still her favorite. (I wish it was Florida)
    I’m loving driving my truck around and turning heads with it. Had Rascal Flats blasting my tune today as I rolled down Broadway.
    “Life is a Highway”
    CHIEFS are spreading their wings lately.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I took that photo to illustrate how seriously my pup 'Gizmo' takes his Supervising duties .

The Moto is a 1970 Honda CT90k2 I rescued from the back room of the oldest family owned Honda Moto Dealership in the West .

I've ridden it every where, it's slow , about 40 MPH wide open but starts easily and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes even after fourty eight years .

I'll be selling it off soon I think, I have others like it that need to be resurrected and sold before I die and leave my Son with too much Old Man 'treasure' .

Your rig looks great .

13. Zig

Zig Member

7285C4D4-786A-4CA4-B0BC-7D33169D3A62.jpeg Thanks, Nate! I’m posting an old photo, guaranteed to get your blood pumping!

There’s no such thing as too much old man’s treasure!
    Before I knew what was happening, my dad threw out a 10 gallon Sears air compressor and found a buyer for his shop equipment because they had decided to move into an assisted living center.
    I did end up with his toolbox and tools, as well as his shop cabinet he had made and had since I could remember.
    I even got his shop apron he’d wear whenever it was time for him to build something.

Glad to see Gizmo is earning his grub!

14. Zig

Zig Member

7375508E-9C23-424A-B61D-C6DB9FECB73D.jpeg Took a photo of a photo of me and my first true love. 1950, 3 window Chevy.
    Put a brand new, rebuilt Sears 235(?) in it.
    3 on the tree.
    16 years old and forever an AD addict.
    The father/son experience I will never forget.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow ~ you're -so- lucky to have been able to share that with your Father .

I did so with my Son but he's a Racer and so isn't really interested in any of my old junk except the 1960 VW #117 DeLuxe Sunshine Roof Beetle, that's in his backyard rusting away now .

That GMC chassis is indeed a delight to look at ! .

Zig likes this.
  16. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Damn Paul! First you get the front axle on upside down two pictures back from this post and then you put the whole damn truck upside down!!!

17. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Bill, maybe WE are upside down?! Zig would NEVER do anything like that. He is after all THE ONE who demands pictures.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Yes, post 381, and 391, are very cool pictures! Tell us... Did YOU pick all the colors for your beautiful home project?
    One of these days, we might see a reality show... Kansas school teacher, home remodeler, interior designer:D, artsy photographer.
    Seriously, Zig. You have many skills, that you could always make money with.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  19. Zig

Zig Member

Hey all- sorry if the photos are upside down!
    I’m using this iPhone now days and I have no idea they are going in that way!
    On my end, they’re right side up. #confused#
    Thank you for the compliments, but there’s no way I do any of this without the help of my old buddy upstairs!
    The paint color is all my wife’s idea. I just do the brush work.
    I gotta tell you, I finally loaded my “Life Is A Highway” song on my phone and was blasting it through my truck speakers as I went through downtown. The big smiles and thumbs up made it all worth while!
    Here’s to future posted photos being right side up!
    By the way, hopefully this Thanksgiving Break I will get the door glass in!
    After that, a HEATER!!!
    Dare to dream, that’s my motto!

20. Zig

Zig Member

Heck, Bill! I never noticed I put the axle in upside down!
    Guess how high my truck would sit without those lowering springs I used! #tongue##biggrin#