Please help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by dawgdrvr, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dawgdrvr

dawgdrvr Member

HI ALL,
    I'm new to this site. I am hoping someone might be able to help me with my Electrical problem. I have a 1980 C-10 with a 305. I go to start it up last Friday 24 Sep 10. I put the key in and nuthin! i got squat. no dash lights, no crank no head lights, nothing. first thing i did was have my battery checked at my local NAPA store (PASSED). Then I pulled the starter and had that checked (PASSED) While it was out i replaced both battery cables. then I pulled the Alternator (PASSED). So yesterday I borrow my stepsons multi meter and start chasing the 12 volt rabbit under my hood. I have a Chilton book and it says where the Fusible links are ,I check them and they are good. so I dropped my steering column and removed my start switch from it. In the off position i have 12 volts. I move it to run or start and it drops to .2200. any ideas ? is it my ignition switch? or something else ? I know very little about Electrical systems. Tires, Carbs & Font ends,yes. Electrical systems i have no clue.

thank you
    Cody

2. drabo

drabo Member

Check you chassis ground. It sounds like a loose connection. You'll have 12VDC with nothing on and when you try to operate something the voltage will drop to nothing.