powder coating at home?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rtnnhazel, Oct 10, 2008.

1. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

hello everyone. i was thinking about coating my rails and pretty much everything else under the cab that would be exposed to the elements. most of the stuff i could fit in my oven. has anyone ever used the at home powder coating kits like those sold at harbor freight or through eastwood? i was thinking of this as an alternative to por15 or 2 component urethane. how does it hold up with rust? any info is appreciated thanks- robert

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

One of the boys has used the Eastwood set up./ He says he liked it, but you need a dedicated oven just for that...and NOT in the house.

3. yodaman

yodaman Member

fwiw....

We have the Eastwood setup in the shop over at the plant. We went from the cheaper Eastwood gun after awhile to the other one. I work in a chemical plant where rust is our number one enemy and the powdercoating does a good job at extending the useful life of our equipment. So far I have used it on a few truck parts and am pleased with the results.

Josh

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Best bet is to get a free or $15.00 electric range from the local thrift store..

Pay close attention to the Haz-Mat warnings ! this stuff will KILL YOU before you realize what's gong on , never , EVER powder coat inside the house or attached garage .

5. kg4mon

kg4mon Member

You are getting some very good advice here. I own a powder coat business and even thou we have industrial equipment now, we started in the same way. We started with a gun set up from a company called caswell plating. But a eastwood company gun is good too. Both places have a forum check it out and ask questions. check craiglist in your area for a good used stove. NEVER use one you cook with and NEVER in the house or attched garage.