power steering for a 1956 3100 truck?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by mikegw, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

sorry i spelled your name wrong Stan

2. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Steve, is that a yellow lab in the back ground of you motor.Have two myself,Great dogs.Great for picking up stray wrenches

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  3. steve

steve Member

The last time I criticize on custom trucks I think I touch a nerve (check one of my earlier post).

Bigtim, thanks for the link that was a very detailed site. My personal option is modifying to what extent. Yes it will ride smother and everything is contained and completed with one sub frame. However to me that’s just a little over the top. It’s almost like replacing the body with fiberglass; it’s not the same as bolting something to it. I do respect truck enthusiast who make their rides special. In my case I don’t think I will ever go back to stock, but still want the option to add the 4x4 NAPCO option. (if I can aford it)

My trans should be delivered this month, weather permitting.

4. smfulle

smfulle Member

Kit vs clip

This is my first project and I'm not real confident with my ability to replace the whole front end and have it drive straight. Plus I still want my truck to be a truck, not a car disguised as a truck. I think it's cool that some people want to do that, but I still drive my truck around in the orchard and haul stuff to the dump with it and such. I just want to be able to do that without feeling like I've had a workout every time from the fat radial tires and manual steering. I guess I'm not a true hot rodder. Maybe my next project will lean more the other way. I'd love to put a big blower on the the old 327 I took out of my truck. As soon as my money tree starts to produce fruit I might look in to that.

Stan

5. steve

steve Member

Hey Bobby

Bobby,

What type of dis brakes were installed? This one keeps the master in the same location under the floor board? rear brakes are shoes?

Before I do my power steering Brake upgrade will take place.

6. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Hay Steve,
    the disc brakes and booster are from CPP all bolt on with minor modification for the emergency brake,and brake lines . but that was a simple fix. CPP P.N5559CBK-6. And get the roller bearing upgrade P.N 4759RBK. Kit uses original spindles and hubs.FYI.the vacuum boost and mounts in the stock location. but the location to fill the master cyl. through the floor board moves further back .6" approximatly.A remote resivour is available or use a turkey baster with a long tube.I already had a remote res. and that will bolt to the firewall when completed

Attached Files:

7. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Almost forgot,rear brakes are drums on a Ford 9". (left over racecar parts)
    Had a bad experience with a 10 bolt G.M.C clip fellout on the axle shaft and took out 10 mail boxes and 4 trash cans

8. steve

steve Member

Ready for Power Steering

First I been away off line only son got married, new job, taking care of grandparents etc. you know life stuff,

Well I just ordered my Toyota Power conversion and will be installing this month. I allowed enough room when installing of my 350 did not want any headers interference.
    Next will be Vintage Air, since the compressor in already a part of my Front runner system.
    :rolleyes:

Attached Files: