Power Steering

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by drabo, Sep 14, 2010.

1. drabo

drabo Member

What year power steering box do we use to add power steering to 1960-66 trucks? With the truck running I can only turn left but if I shut it down I can turn the wheel to the right. I'm thinking it is either the box or I have something in the line. Let me know what you think.

2. drabo

drabo Member

Okay I got my answer, 1968-87. Looks like I'm going to have to do a little welding on the frame. Since I wasn't using the highly recommended brackets I cracked the frame. The new brackets are on order and now I just have to figure out what is going on with the steering.

3. drabo

drabo Member

Finally the beast rides again. Somehow some needle bearings separated from the steering box and were sucked into the pump. Both parts were nuked and had to be replaced. I drilled out both side of the crack and welded it up. The holes for the previous instalation were drilled using a tourch so while I was at it I welded and filled them in. Using the new brackets I located and drilled out the new holes. I sanded down the frame an painted it. I then installed the brackets and painted them in place so it all looked good. While I was on the painting kick I painted the new box and removed the steering shaft and painted it as well. I is looking very black on the left side of the truck.