Powertrain choices....

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by swenson89, Feb 14, 2006.

1. swenson89

swenson89 Member

Well guys i am getting to the point in my project were i will be needing to decide what engine and transmission i should use...
    My truck is a 55' Chevy 3600

I thought about keeping the stock 235 6, but it will need to be overhauled, and need lots of parts i am sure.
    I have a 55' Chevy 265 V8 engine that has been rebuilt and overhauled new crank. pistons. and fully reconditioned heads, i got it on in trade, it is the power pack version with same as all new parts in it, i was just wondering how this would effect the value of the truck, and i was wondering if it would be fine to use in todays traffic, i hear they 55 heads have a problem getting hot around the spark plugs.
    I also thought about building a mild 283 or a 327, but i dont know yet, i have alot of the parts.. but would have to get a few.

and do any of you know what transmission would be the best to place behind a 265 if i plan on using it, i want a manual, 4 speed, or a 5 speed with an overdrive, to make going down the highway a little better, also looking into a differnt rear end, not just swapping gears, but swapping out the whole rear, dose any one know of what rear end would be close to a bold in? i know i may have to do some work to get it to fit, but that is okay. other plans are leaving the suspension stock cept for mabye lowering a couplin inches, with either a drop front axle, or just good old spring flipping.

Thanks for any help, and i would appreciate any help finding body panels such as front fenders, doors, hoods, and a bed... that is in a little better shape than any of my parts.

thanks agian...

Kendal Swenson

2. sweet50

sweet50 Member

On my 1950 I dropped in a ZZ4 (350 with corvette heads) from GM performance. TCI streetfighter (turbo 350 with manual valve body) and used the rear end from a late 70's Camaro.

Hind sight .... I wish I had a 4 speed instead of the 3 speed.