Rear Axle ID

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mel 55_1, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

Does anyone know about identifying rear axle numbers? My 55 1st series 1/2 ton has NK 1 06 stamped on the carrier. The carrier also has a separate single S and a small plate with 338.

I'm planning to replace the ring and pinion gears. They make an incredible amount of noise and now I've taken the Derby off (thanks for name of that thing Nate) I can see they're worn down to a knife edge, with bits knocked out!

It's just that before I go out and buy a new set, I'd like to know that this really is the original '55 axle. It kinda looks like the photos of the ones in the manuals, but it'd be nice to know what I really have here.

And, is there anything else I should look for by way of id numbers on these items?

Mel :eek:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

If you look at the _side_ of the ring gear you'll see the original GM part #'s and ratio stamped into it , I'd just buy a whole used rear end for $50.00 from a hot rod project over on the Task Force board but them I'm

A. cheap

B. lazy

If you decide to go the whole hog and rebuild it , be sure to poke some swabs down the axle tubes with an old broom handle to wipe out as much of the fine metal dust you -know- is al over the inside of the banjo , add a rare earth magnet into the sump of the banjo too and don't forget to clean it out in a couple months after the rebuild

Just yesterday I tossed out a nice flyer from Jasper Engine rebuilders that talked about the company they buy R & P sets and axle shafts from , I'd go look them up for detailed info...

-Nate